new owner question, please help!

Asked by Sep 13, 2011 at 07:24 PM about the 1978 Ford Ranchero

Hello, I purchased a clean, well-maintained, one owner  (118,000mi) 1978 Ford Ranchero: GT today (after a  3 month search).  These questions: 1) What king of gas mileage can I expect? 2) How does that cruise device on the steering wheel work?  3) I dislike the old steering wheel; What are my options? 4) What kind of mileage could I expect from this engine, under normal conditions?  Please give me advice beyond these four questions.... Gaines Steer: new owner

dont expect much out of a 1978,90k the engine is worn out.that was about the life of a motor in the 70,s.dont expect much on gas milage eather.rember back then,mpg was not thought much about.gas was about 75 cents a gallon.

165

dependeing on how the motor was taken care of,you can get around 200,000 miles out of a 351. ,,, mpg dependeing on gear rate, can be from 19 mpg to 24 mpg.

Kirk(s): Thank you so very much for your response.!The first (and only) response I received to my four questions was both negative and vague and it left me a bit discouraged. Will you please let me know if you'd be willing to communicate directly with me (info@thelastunicorn.com)? I am an antiques dealer {low mechanical ability} with an affection for older Ford trucks (don't ask!!!). Now, In a comedy of errors (almost funny) I have found myself suddenly owning two Rancheros: a 1978 GT with a great restored body and some internal problems and a 1977 GT with decent internal restoration and a rough exterior. Good grief! I am not a person of means and I'll have to sell one in order to justify keeping the other. In either case I'll need to get busy with the project(s) before I can expect to sell one. In other words, I have lots of "dumb questions" and my "shadetree mechanic" has limited info... Gaines Steer got time?: see my website, please: www.thelastunicorn.com

165

gaines,,, your id post is a movie ,,, whats up with that?