front Stabilizer bar

20

Asked by Nov 28, 2012 at 11:50 PM about the Ford Ranchero

Did a 1979 Ranchero 500 come with a front stabilizer bar or not? I bought one recently. It didn't dawn on me till later that it doesn't have one. I thought a new steering box would straighten out the way it handles. Nope. It handles terrible. I installed new coil springs in front also. Every thing I do to it helps, but it still handles like s*#t.
I really wish I'd never seen this rust bucket. Runs good, handles poorly.

20

I'm the one that posted this question. Yes, it came with a stabilizer bar, front and rear. I searched for three days and finally found one that would fit it in Phoenix, Arizona. Right price, and a decent price to ship it. The vehicle still handles like s##t, but every thing I do to it helps. Maybe the front end man can align it now. We'll see. I put a one inch stabilizer bar under it. I did not think it would mount right, but it did. I used to have a 1967 Ranchero that handled excellent. 17-18 MPG with a 390 CI strong running motor. Made this 1979 351M look pretty tame. The 390 was bored to at least 406 CI. It was a hoss. It would run a lot faster than you would care to go. I scared the hell out of more than one person riding in it. Not very smart. I realize that. But we were young and stupid.

7,285

When you need parts for the Ford Ranchero, look under Ford LTD as they shared the same parts everywhere except the rear body (obviously). I had a 1979 GT500 that was totaled out while I was driving it, by a drunk driver. Never found out why they didn't arrest the guy until 5 years later when I found out he was the local PD chiefs father.