Why is my car over heating?

Asked by Jun 29, 2014 at 04:24 PM about the 1960 Ford Ranchero

I have a 1960 Ford Ranchero. It had a straight 6 cylinder. I took it off and put a 289, i
put a rack and pinion on it, i put power steering, and i put ac in it. When i did all this i
ran out of room in the motor compartment so i moved the radiator an inch forward and
it's right next to my condensor. I probably have a have inch between my radiator and
condensor. I put a 17 inch electric fan, four row aluminum radiator and it's getting hot
on me. Did i do something wrong? Is there a solution to this problem?

61,095

Does it overheat while driving or at idle? If while driving it's usually a coolant circulation problem. If it overheats at slower speeds, like heavy traffic, it's usually an airflow problem. HTH. -Jim

105,965

Good explanation Jim. I agree.

did you put in a bigger radiator, fan blade could be wrong, fan shroud, add a good electric fan.

Usually when a vehicle has AC and uses electric fans there are two fans. One comes on with coolant temp. and the other comes on whenever the AC compressor is turned on. You should be able to run a 180 degree thermostat with your combination and you may need to bleed the system of air. This can be done by removing the upper heater hose from the engine and pour coolant into the hose until coolant comes out of the engine outlet with the engine NOT running. Also, what do you consider overheating? What is the temp. going to? It should be around 180 to 195 degrees.