do i need a tranny or hopefully not ? help pleas thank you all for any help ?

Asked by Mar 18, 2015 at 11:47 PM about the 2003 Ford Explorer

i have a 03 explorer  v6 4.0 automatic 4 door  tranny is a 5r55s ok i loand it to a freind when he  brings it back he said he tryed  to put it in 4 low n in reverse  so idk but it wont go into reverse  when put in reverse it act like its in nutral  but when shifted in nutral it goes like in drive in all outher gears   evan some times in revers or park   some say its in the transfer case n some say get anouther tranny but im hopeing its just a peace for its hard to buy a tranny when ur a singel dad of 2 teens   if you have a ideal i would thank you so much  .. if i need a tranny whate years or trannys will match up to mine ?

ps mine is a xlt

4,535

When putting any transfer case into 4 low, Either the 4x4 automatic or manual transmission you must shift it into Nuetral FIRST Your transmission must be in NUETRAL THEN YOU SHIFT transfer case INTO 4 low , then once the transfer case is engaged completely in 4 low Then you may shift tranny into reverse ok now to check your shifting linkage do the following NOTE YOU CAN DO ALL THIS WITH THE CAR OFF Now to go back ON ROAD YOU SHIFT TRANSMISSION INTO NUETRAL then shift the transfer case back into 2 high. Ok now we can check transmission. Now shift tranny to Park START IT UP MOVE TO REVERSE, OK YES PROBLEM RESOLVED, NO GO TO NUETRAL (tranny)AND MAKE SURE THE TRANSFER CASE WENT TO 2 hi it may be in nuetral , check the linkage you may need to go under car and have some one shift the transfer case linkage MAKE SURE THE CAR IS OFF , never never go under a car while checking transmisdion or transfer case with it running! Car. Off then check underneath ! I would suspect the linkage or cable may have become damaged for either the tranny or transfer case at that point find a user manual for the proper linkage setup ! My Dodge Cummins would look like it was nuetral at the column but had was actually in drive! The gear detent in the shifter had worn and had to be replaced so it had to be pushed up at the lever in the cab to make the linkage at the transmission go into drive! I needed the factory service manual and about 20 hours of searching the web when I found an article that pointed to the problem. Check youtube see if others had this problem along with ford forums no check the linkage underneath

4,535

Last line should read -- check youtube and Ford Forums about shift linkage / cable issues on automatic with 4x4 for explorer