runs fine then losses power and dies if no gas given

35

Asked by May 09, 2011 at 12:57 AM about the 1988 Toyota Pickup

I have an 1989 Toyota 2d 4x4 with a 3.0L fuel injected V6 and it ran fine than out of the blue it lost all power (still ran) and i was unable to go over 10mph or so and when it sat runnin without givin it gas it would die then have to be jumped in order to start.... local part store said fuel filter or pump... not sure need help asap.... i need truck running in order to get to work

could be a cloged fuel filter.if the pump was bad it would not start.the haveing to have it jumped points in direction the alt is bad and not charging the battery,also have the timeing checked.timeing gears & chain may be worn out.

35

i just dropped 224 dollars on a new alt and cap and rotor since it needed the rest of the tune up so i know the alt is good and the battery is good just replaced that.... i know its got a timing issue since it was runnin on bad plugs and wires for the longest time with previous owner. so some adjusting is needed there... what else could the jumping lead to besides that?

electrodes bad in starter will drain the battery

35

so should i have the starter taken off and tested to see if that needs to be replaced? and where exactly is the pressure release valve on the fuel rail so i can release the pressure to take off the fuel filter?

yes have starter checked,release valve should be at end of rail at front,looks like a tire valve.if u cant find it pull the ECM fuse,it kills power to FP crank engine over,gas pedal to floor,it wont start but will empty fuel and pressure from fuel line,crank over several times.after work is done dont forget toput ecm fuse back in.

20

my 88 did the same had to replace the o2 sencor up stream in the pipe on the 88 its not on manifold. 47.$ if one wire 106 if 4 like mine. after you replace it start trk & walk away dont touch ANYTHANG 10min to 15 for computer to think alot of it can be tested havent found a test for the 02 sens