Gear shift sticks often while driving (won't go into gear), and unsticks when I shut off the engine.

Asked by Aug 21, 2016 at 10:46 AM about the 1985 Toyota Pickup

When I'm driving, suddenly it becomes impossible to change gears. I have to pull over and shut the engine off, let off the clutch, press the clutch and move it into gear, then when I turn the truck back on it shifts again. This was only happening very occasionally until recently, and now it happens every twenty minutes of driving or so. Note: the slave cylinder was replaced last year. Now and then I have to add some fluid, for some reason.

21,755

OK, you replaced the slave cylinder last year??? Did you put in a new throw out bearing?? That could be your problem, I would have it checked out .. Not being able to shift when you need to is a serious problem...and your truck is 31 years old.. besides, it lacks many safety features of newer vehicles...I'd really consider replacing the vehicle at this point.. good luck.

I had a mechanic replace the slave cylinder, so I'm not sure about the throw out bearing. The truck had the shifting problem before that -- part of the reason I took it in -- but it wasn't nearly as bad. The slave cylinder was leaking so they thought that was the problem. When I brought the truck back again, because it still had the shifting problem, they couldn't reproduce it so nothing new was done. It's gotten progressively worse since then.

21,755

If your throw out bearing is bad it will make it VERY DIFFICULT to shift into gear. I had an old VW Beetle with a bad throw out bearing so I had direct experience with this.

5,725

going to suggest that the transmission mounts are cracked and changing the geometry~ will price new mount(s) for ya...pry at the transmission with a mechanic's prybar...you will see the separation...and Know what to do....replace them~