WHY DOES THE ENGINE KILL WHEN I SHIFT INTO GEAR? 1992 TOY V6 3.0LTHANK YOU!

Asked by Dec 29, 2014 at 02:05 AM about the 1992 Toyota Pickup 2 Dr One Ton Standard Cab LB

Engine runs perfect.  After starting, when put in gear, either drive or reverse, the engine just dies.  Just like you turned off the key in ignition.  Thanks

10,120

I would start by checking for vacuum leaks. there are good youtube vids on how to do this. if it is an automatic, the torque converter control solenoid could be bad. you can test that by unplugging it and see if it "fixes". just something to try.

10,120

Pat, I am sorry to hear about your husband! Ok, it is hard to work on a vehicle 1800 miles away, but there are a lot of resources online. I will tell you about the tcc, and then give you some good sites. Ok, The job of the torque converter control solenoid is to help the trans stay in a higher gear when you are cruising down the road. That way, the trans isn't shifting all the time and you get improved mileage. When they go bad, the torque converter won't get out of this locked position and is essentially stuck in a higher gear so that when you try to go it just dies. It can be a fairly expensive fix, but you can actually do without it. It is on the transmission somewhere with an electrical plug going to it. You can unplug this and the vehicle will still work just fine, you will likely reduce the fuel mileage which at this point isn't as important as getting the old girl back on the road. I am not sure where exactly it is located but you can Google its location. Now, that said, if this isn't the problem then there are some good online resources. There are a number of Toyota forums and you have to join them but it is free. If you do join any of the forums use the same password and username for all. That's what I do! Ok, also there is a good sight called Scottykilmer.com. If you have phone service then I have even called service departments of U.S. dealers and they are usually helpful. Especially if they know you are stuck like you are! I am primarily familiar with G.M products, but there are people on here who have good Toyota experience. Try Tom Demyan. I will be praying for you guys. Try these resources and please keep me posted.

10,120

There is also a way to send the Scotty Kilmer sight that video.

10

This has to be the most helpful suggestion yet! ive got a 1991 Camry with a 2.0, it will start just fine in park and neutral, it will drive fine in reverse, but as soon as you shift into drive, or anything after drive the engine cuts off as if you turned the ignition off. Think that solenoid could also be my issue?

10,120

Possibly Hunter, try unplugging the solenoid and see what happens.

10

Ok, so heres an update. We did not get access to the lock-up solenoid however we found a split connector that appears to go the the transmission speed sensor as well as the number one shift solenoid. We unplugged the split connector and like magic the camry will now drive forward no problem, you have to shift up and down manually and when in drive it seems to start in 3rd gear which lead us to believe it was a shift solenoid that was faulty we will replace it. Heres a poorly drawn outline on where the connector goes on the transmission.