Car stalls when you give it gas when it is in gear.

Asked by Nov 29, 2013 at 07:46 PM about the 1961 Ford Galaxie

Hi i have a 61 galaxie with a 352 in it.  when i start it and let it warm up it idles fine but when i put it in gear to drive it, i give it gas it dies out.  The fuel filter doesnt look like it gets a good amount of gas in it.  The filter is clean. Fuel pump? maybe carburetor?  please help!   shannon gabriel 954-604-8758

I'd look at rebuilding the carb if it hasn't had any attention in a while or the car has been sitting. How old is the gas?

The carb was rebuilt about 2 years ago. I had the engine resealed when i bought it. I drive it every month of so. I tour with bands for a living. I bought a new fuel pump but it was the wrong one. it idles great, like a sewing machine. but when you put it in gear and mash the gas pedal it bogs down and wants to die.

You are describing the classic bad accelerator pump on a Ford. It is located on the front of the carb, has a small lever attached to it with a small rod that runs back to the throttle arm. the diaphragm is readily available from most parts stores.

Jacob Weldon

hey im fixing up a 68 lincoln continetal with a 462ci and we rebuilt it ran it over the summer ran good then stoped so i turned the distribtor one tooth counter clockwise and it runs again but dies when i give it gasjust here air suckin in ?? what else could it be then the carb it needs to be rebuilt