Car stalls when you give it gas when it is in gear.

Asked by Nov 29, 2013 at 07:46 PM about the 1961 Ford Galaxie

Hi i have a 61 galaxie with a 352 in it.  when i start it and let it warm up it idles fine but when i put it in gear to drive it, i give it gas it dies out.  The fuel filter doesnt look like it gets a good amount of gas in it.  The filter is clean. Fuel pump? maybe carburetor?  please help!   shannon gabriel 954-604-8758 sgcullman@aol.com

217,315

I'd look at rebuilding the carb if it hasn't had any attention in a while or the car has been sitting. How old is the gas?

The carb was rebuilt about 2 years ago. I had the engine resealed when i bought it. I drive it every month of so. I tour with bands for a living. I bought a new fuel pump but it was the wrong one. it idles great, like a sewing machine. but when you put it in gear and mash the gas pedal it bogs down and wants to die.

83,315

You are describing the classic bad accelerator pump on a Ford. It is located on the front of the carb, has a small lever attached to it with a small rod that runs back to the throttle arm. the diaphragm is readily available from most parts stores.

10

hey im fixing up a 68 lincoln continetal with a 462ci and we rebuilt it ran it over the summer ran good then stoped so i turned the distribtor one tooth counter clockwise and it runs again but dies when i give it gasjust here air suckin in ?? what else could it be then the carb it needs to be rebuilt