Exploerer wont start and appears to be electrical.

40

Asked by Jun 05, 2013 at 05:31 PM about the 2004 Ford Explorer

2004 Explorer, Driving home the power started to die off. Parked in the driveway and turned it off, when I tried to restart there wasn't enough battery. I put a charger on it and got it to turn over. It went a minute then it started to drain, gauges went down and ran poorly. Turned it off and tried to tuen over but got only clicks. Next day I changed out the Alternator, charged the battery and heard the starter try a couple then just clicks. Even tried a boost from another car but still only clicks.

26,645

definately sounds like the alt. was bad. but now maybe the battery has gone bad? I would also check the connections at the battery make sure they are tight and free of corrsion.

Get a new battery...also clean all corrosion from cable to chassis with a wirebrush to establish a solid connection...this may have been your problem all along...the electrons cannot get through~

40

Connections were all cleaned and tight. I can get a new battery but if a boost wont get things past the low power/turn over clicking how does a new battery help? Sorry just wondering.

26,645

How long did you leave the jumper cables hooked up? If the battery is really low it sometimes takes a minute for it to bulild up enough juice.

40

Cables were on for a few minutes. We tried to jump it failed, left it for about 2 min the tried again with same sound/result.

26,645

I mean the only other thing it could be is the starter. But I think its very unlikley that it went out when these other problems occured. Ive seen stranger things happen though. The clicking noise you are hearing is the starter, that means its getting power to it just not enough to crank. it requires alot of amps the turn the motor over.

40

That's what I thought about the starter. I actually cut back the battery cables for clean wire, but the thing that makes me wonder is the boosting. The power should have been there since its a direct link from another source. Or am I thinking wrong? Could the relay have some relation to this?

26,645

I agree about jumping it. No a relay wouldnt be the issue here. Does the starter click fast or is it like one click and done

40

when boosting fast continue clicks. Otherwise with the battery being slowly if at all charged 1 then done. Im heading out to get a new battery now anyway. We put a meter on it and with cables attached we are around 10. Without cables on battery its 13.

26,645

Let me know how it goes with the new battery. I cant see the starter being bad here but hey Ive been wrong before

17,150

Your alternator is shot. What happened is the alternator died and was unable to supply power to keep the engine running. As a result the ignition system operates off the battery, draining it, until it no longer has enough power in the battery to service the combustion process in the engine. The engine begins to lag. You charged the battery and once the vehicle started it would run until the battery is depleated again. There is a way to check, but be careful. Jump the battery with another battery to start the vehicle. Let it idle. The other battery will be depleated as the other one was.

26,645

he has put a new alternator on it OJ. jumpin in a lil late there buddy

to answer your question DonL, the battery not only needs to be at least 12.5 Volts but can readily expend the 400 or so Cold Cranking Amps that your startermotor needs to kick the motor 'round~ the reason that I can be a bit obsessive about this 300A or more connection is I've witnessed engines catching on fire because a smaller gauge was used~....this would have never occurred with the proper 1/0 battery cable~ the 'ole battery was soakin' in however 15- 30...even 60 amps to your battery which when they get old they will not accept a charge perhaps 10% per year...so if the thing is like five years old it is beginning to run the Alternator at full-whack....till cookin'~

40

I put in the new battery and everything is good. Thankyou for all the info and feedback. it was very appreciated

20

hello please can someone help me with 04 ford explorer xlt , I bought a starter not long ago 2. I have replace new alternator but the battery will not start even if I jump start it but when I took a different battery from my cars to start it than it start and I did drive it for just a short distance the battery will not start the engine so if someone can tell me what is going on

20

what to do

40

Ok i have a 2004 ford explorer xlt that wont start ... I put a new starter in as well as a new fuel pump but it still wont start . What can it be please help!!!!

10

It just happened to my brother. He took it to the dealer, they can't figure It out. You all need to call in to complain about the issue. They need to do a recall, it's not your alternator or battery. It's an electrical issue with the car. Very dangerous! Call your local Ford dealer, they have the engineers involved with my brothers car. Not charging him for it.

10

His car turned off on the freeway after setting the cruise control. He managed to control the car, please call in to report to Ford. Need more people in board so they can do something about it

20

I have a 2004 explorer got a new fuel pump , alternator and a new battery. Still wont start. I was driving and the car started acting like it was gonna shut off.. all my gages dropped. Help!!

30

I had similar issues going on..was told by the dealer that after putting in a new battery needed to have my truck reprogrammed.....i googled it and found more info on it

i am having problems with my 04 explorer 4.0. I just put in a new battery and all I get is a clunck sound like the starter is bad. it was fine before I replaced the battery. any ideas

17,150

Wazard, begin a new question. This one is years old.