What would cause my 2002 ford explorer, with a 4.0 engine, over heat and stall. It wont start now.

30

Asked by Mar 13, 2013 at 01:04 AM about the 2002 Ford Explorer XLS

It was overheating and now it wont
start.

apparently you've lost coolant, or the thermostat is stuck closed, or the waterpump stopped working for any reason-... Now, open the cap and see if it's in need of coolant- the reservoir should be filled to the first 'cold' mark to allow for expansion. Check the oil to see if there is any coolant in there...as this could mean a burned-up headgasket.

Best Answer Mark helpful

Won't start. You don't mean Locked-up, kaput...no wraw wraw wraw..zing zing kaput? no action on that starter, or no action out of the ignition....or starved of fuel due to emergency systems?

did you keep runnin' it into the red zone?....bwuf, remindin' me of my sister and our 73 plymouth fury III, completely melted until smokin'-

30

Thanks for responding. The engine will act like it wants to start but it doesn't. Alot of wraw wraw wraw, It just wont start. So, I need to put the coolant in there and then check the oil? My oil now has turned dark. If its the head gasket how much money am I about to spend?

At least $1500. That is low..probably more. Much more

102,815

If the engine ever fires, get the oil changed fast. Anytime oil exceeds 350* F, it loses a lot of it's lubricating functions.

darned thing would Knock like crazy. You wouldnt notice this?

Got someone to check the fluids for ya?

popcorn?

...well DavidH25, could you find a descriptor for the non-mechanic?

shame...runnin' it into the RED, there's gotta be a law! Personally, get off the freeway, THEN put out the fire! experienced this very pheonomenon with one of my beetles.

the plugs are fouled. That's why she won't turn over!

none better than popcorn. I grant you that Bob!

If she was able to put fresh plugs in, fresh oil change, put fresh coolant in, tighten the leaker (if a clamp)...would probably be around $45---assuming the motor isn't completely toasted.

that'd be a best case scenario.

10,675

The 4.0 is a tough motor to kill. But if it was overheated for any extended period of time and coolant got into the oil.. Then it prolly is dead. More information on what exactly happened to cause the issue would be great. Also.. If you choose to sell the Explorer, let me know.

30

I don't know why it overheated. It was unexpected. Nobody checked the fluids yet. I don't have anyone to do it for me really. I'm solo on this one. I will try my best. I know a lil. I will inform you shortly. I appreciate you hanging in there with me.

21,120

Kim: If you're getting the wraw,wraw, wraw. Is it fast, like when you normally start it? Or is it Warwwwwwwwwwwwwwww Warwwwwwwwwwwww Warwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww? Maybe a battery problem. Turn on the lights, radio, and blow the horn. If something looks or sounds weak, your battery may be shot.

30

Ok I fixed the head gaskets and it still wouldnt start. There is 3 quarts to much oil in it also.

30

I will check the battery also

30

I didn't have any coolant in the car just water.

no leaks. Immediately drain it out and put a 50/50 antifreeze mix. We can't have plain water, it will make everything inside you motor to begin rusting~

30

Ok. I put antifreeze. Changed what I thought were head gaskets. They turned out to be manifolds or something. Changed spark plugs. I'm about to get the oil changed. Then what?

now...is it holding coolant? holding oil, without leakin'?...turn the key.

Good morning Judge Roy. Kim we need to know that...what he asked...

30

Yes its holding fluids but it still not cranking. Its going wraw wraw

30

A family member says he had that problem and he put a new starter on his vehicle and problem solved. Would you suggest that I try that.

30

Ok I'm fed up should I rebuild it or buy a new one. Please help me. With seven children I need my vehicle. Bare with me please.

10,675

I personally own one. But I honestly need more info to even be able to begin to give you any advise. msg me either here or on Facebook /rushhour250

10

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer gas is mixing and oil

1,365

Kim just a word to the wise ... you say you added antifreeze? Be sure it's either a 50/50 mix or you've added water to the full strength solution. I pitted the aluminum (something) on my '92 by using it full strength. Lesson learned!

Head gaskets for an 02 ford explorer.. For the whole kit is a little less that 200. I have the same explorer and mine is doing the same thing. It wants to start but it just won't. I just bought the gasket kit.. Oil and filter for 270. Everyone says it's the fuel pumpm. Not sure how much they are. Haven't checked. It over heated just a little. These explorers have aluminum heads. Aluminum heads crack very easily. So you may want to get the heads off and have them checked.