1991 Chevy Cavalier won't start

Asked by Jan 03, 2013 at 12:58 PM about the 1991 Chevrolet Cavalier

Car was running fine then shut it off for awhile then when I tried to start it it would only turn over. A friend thinks it may be the coils, it has two, but when I talked to a mechanic he says it wouldn't be the coils more like the crank sensor or the timing belt. This is my son's spare car & I just buried my brother on the 29th of December so I don't have a lot of money to fix it but I have to have transportation. I can't be fixing things that don't need to be fixed. Please can you help.

6,845

Yes. It could be something like the fuel pump. When you turn the key to 'on' but not 'start,' do you hear a whine coming from the fuel tank of your car? You should be able to hear this for 1 to two seconds before you crank your engine. This is your fuel pump sending fuel to the engine. It could be bad. It would be a much better situation than the timing belt. Let me know if you hear this.

This model has a coil module (if v6 equipped) is located under the front exaust manifold,if this part is defective you will have no spark. If same condition in the 4 cyl model it is inside distributor. Scan car first prior to buying a part this model also suffers from computer failure If this is the case the scanner will read no communication. Scan first buy once. Good luck

No spark when warm

35,255

Crank sensor will cause a no spark. Distributor has a pickup in it that senses when to release the spark from the coil.

Most likely ignition control module or crank position sensor on 4cyl, 2.2L engine.This engine has no timing belt or distributor on it. It has a single throttle body injector visible from the air cleaner,cover removed. If you can see fuel spraying at the throttle body while cranking engine then your injector and fuel pump are working. Check for spark next if no spark check ignition control module and both coils for proper operation also check crank position sensor should read 800-1200 ohms it is located below ignition coils on side of enigne block. A engine needs 3 thing to run Air,Fuel,and Spark Good Luck.

Some of these were equipped w the brazillian twin cam and is distributored others had the ohv engine

35,255

Engine needs 4 things you forgot compression. And every modern standard domestic engine has either a timing chain or belt. The question is 8 months old, the only replies you will get back are from other gurus, and remember this site is accessed by the entire world, not just north America.

..........