2002 Chevy Cavalier won't Start

10

Asked by May 11, 2014 at 10:39 AM about the 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan FWD

Ok, this is getting frustrating.
My daughter's 2002 Chevy Cavalier died and won't start again.
She was backing out of a driveway and it died. Now she says the Anti-Theft light WAS on when it died, but I have tried the system reset thing (key in the ACCY position for 11 minutes then off 3 times) but that didn't fix it.
I haven't put a diagnostic tool on it yet. I don't know of anyone to borrow from and I really don't want to shell out $200 for one right now.
But here is what's going on.
I seems I have fuel pressure and a spark. I have changed the the crankshaft positioning sensor (it's behind the starter on the 2.2L OHC, if anyone's curious) and the ignition control module and just for fun the spark plugs. No Fix.
We did do the starter fluid in the intake trick about 4 times. Once we did get a momentary "pop" but nothing more.
I didn't see it but the guy with me says the spark seems weak. With that said, we definitely noticed water in the coil packs. Is there a way to check the coil packs?
It seems the battery is good (was good. After a day of cranking it's getting pretty weak now) and all fuses are good too.
Any ideas on what to check now??

117,855

Sounds like it could be a timing chain issue. Was it making a ticking noise on passenger side of valve cover in the days or weeks prior to it going dead? If so possible the timing chain tensioner failed and it has jumped time.

10

I honestly don't know about any noises. My daughter didn't mention any. How difficult is it to check for that and fix it?

9,030

Get some cables and hook up to another running car for battery power. Turn the ignition key on, verify security light is illuminated. Leave it with the key on. let up to four to ten minutes pass while observing the light. when the light goes out, start the car. take the cables off. Drive to the parts store. ask to read your codes for a security light issue. get the code, google it. see if the bypass trick can be implemented for your year and model of j-body GM car. when you google it, there are many entries to read but it was all fully explained for a J-body car we had here.