I

Asked by Mar 17, 2014 at 08:06 PM about the 1999 Porsche 911 Carrera

Am considering buying a 1999 911 porshe with 137000 miles...I am not a rich man but I
realize that some yearly maintenance may be necessary...please,  please, please,  any
advise as  to the yearly maintenance $$$ that I may look forward in expenses/ Desperate
Porshe Lover in Need of Answers!!! Thanks, ozzie

32,335

Just to give you an idea, the oil change can run a you over $300.00 at the dealer. If it brakes its very expensive. And there's not a lot of mantainence you can do. I would quest it's might run you about $1.00 per mile, all things considered.

1,505

I would not take a 1999 996 to a main dealer. It is possible to do maintenance on these yourself cheaply, or if you are not mechanically inclined, most towns have a European car specialist who will be able to most maintenance on these much cheaper than the dealers. I maintain my own Cayenne Turbo and 911 and spend around $500 each per year, which includes spark plugs, oils and filters, belts etc. You may pay around $1000 if you do average miles and use a mechanic. However, if something fails, this would be not included. The good new is Porsches are quite reliable, if your engine has already had the IMS oil seal problem on the M96 engine fixed.

1,590

On line oil filter, about $8.00. Walmart synthetic oil about $6.00/quart. Easy oil change for about $60-$70. Not bad. Brake pads from Rock-Auto anywhere from $15-$100 per axle. A good set (front and back) will set you back no more the $100. Way cheaper than even Midas. They are very easy to do yourself. Serpentine belt $20-$25. Easy to do. Air filter about $20. If you do buy it, it's cheap to keep. Stay away from stealerships.

475

I agree with the above price quotes for brakes, belts, oil and so on. Very easy stuff to do and will save you much. A 99 is a 3.4 liter. With that kind of mileage, price should be very low teens. I have seen them for less than 12K. Consider how the miles were accumulated. How the car was maintained. Any upgrades to the car? Or, consider an 02 with the 3.6 engine.

23,525

Due to age and miles it might be worth it to do a pre purchase inspection aka PPI if you have a local Porsche dealer or local certified Porsche mechanic. You may even be able to negotiate this into the purchase unless it being sold at a Porsche dealer. By doing the inspection which cost around $200 it could save you thousands later.

105

I agree with doing a PPI to look for signs of RMS. Not sure you can tell if there is an IMS problem. I did my own maintenance on my 02 911. Oil change with Mobil 1 synthetic (9 quarts) + filter will run you $100. The interval is 1 year or 10K miles unless you plan to track the car. I bleeded the brake fluid changed brake pads - $100. Changed sparkplugs (really hard to access) - forgot exactly how much not certainly under $100. Sparkplugs last a long time. Most of the maintenance are very DIY. The only item that costs quite a bit is the motor oil since it uses so many quarts. Other than that, not bad as far as maintenance cost. Very trouble free car.

1,590

If the IMS bearing was done correctly there should be a numbered label on the drivers door post. Check for this on any used car purchase. The coolant tank is prone to failure for some reason, but other than that the water cooled cars are very reliable when taken proper car of.

475

There have been many IMS bearing REPLACEMENTS... that have failed. How does one know if a bearing will fail? New or old? That's the million dollar question! If the bearing has been replaced, make sure there is at least 20K miles. To prove the bearing won't fail. Here's the IRONY. If a car has more than 30K miles and the IMS bearing has not failed. It probably won't.Why??!. Physics! In racing we only can fix what is broken or shows signs of severe or odd wear. We can not fix something we think will fail. Racing is the force & friction upon the car that causes wear and failure. We do not start with a fresh car before each qualifying session. Qualifying race. Or RACE. We inspect the car. And, race! So, inspect the car the best you can. And, drive it... Cars that are 10 years old with low miles have been sitting around. Avoid such cars. You want a car that has been driven. Driven, and, maintained. Not one dusted & waxed every week. Physics.. if all is in motion, it should stay in motion. (smiling).

365

I know a shop that specalizes in IMS bearing replacement, and Porsche engines. It's called MB Motorsports, they're located in Schaumburg, IL. I'm in Ca, and got one of their rebuilt engines when mine gave up years ago. Still driving the car, and engine runs great. Very knowledgeable place, superb customer service, this is a small shop, they're passionate about all things Porsche. Highly recommend these guys to everyone! They told me IMS bearings fail at 15k, 30k, or 100k miles, no matter how many miles, certain models have a faulty bearing that just breaks one day, without warning signs. Here's a link to their web: www,mbmotorsportsrepair.com.

30

I paid 650 for a first year oil change with 4500 miles on my 2014 911, thought outrageous, but wait till you hear what the 3 year check-up is. Take a strong drink first!! and just remember it ain't a Vette!!!!