92 pontiac firebird 305 chugging

10

Asked by Aug 23, 2016 at 10:29 PM about the 1992 Pontiac Firebird Convertible

I have a 92 pontiac firebird with a 305 it recently
started acting constricted... as if a fuel filter or cat
was clogged up

10

I blew out the fuel filter worked for a while so I figured that was it since I replaced the cat 2 years ago.... it clogged up and was chugging again with no hp and kept wanting to take off as if it cleared itself for a brief moment then clogged again so this time I replaced the the fuel filter cause I blew it out like 15 times one day when I got stuck 20+ miles form home and it was getting dark...it would run fine for a few miles or so and clog up again lose all hp and speed sounds restricted wants to die when coming to a stop. I'm not rich or a mechanic I sunk alot of money into this car and it's driving me insane... can anyone relate and help with narrowing this down

66,705

In my oppion,your fuel pump is bad,if you had to blow out the filter that much,the pump is loaded with trash and cant pump the rigt pressure of fuel,quit waisting money and time and replace the pump,will fix your issue,,,good luck with it,,

25,255

Agree with above, your tank must be loaded with crud and pump keeps picking it. The pump's pickup screen is also likely blocked up. Time to drop the tank, clean it, and swap out the old fuel pump.

10

That's what I've been told.. theres 2 sensors popping up now An intake air temp sensor and a manifold air sensor