92 Pontiac firebird v6

Asked by May 01, 2016 at 03:32 PM about the 1992 Pontiac Firebird Base

I have a 92 Pontiac firebird v6. Driving it one
day and slammed it in park while barley
moving. Turned it off and and it hasn't really
started since. Replaced timing chain,  
distributor cap and rotary button and the
steering column. May not have anything to
do with it but still needed replaced . Seems
like it jumped tome but it still won't do
anything. Every now and then it will start
and only stay running by pumping the gas
really fast. I have checked fuses
,plugs,firing, and its gettin gas. What could it
be

965

It might be your neutral safety switch where you have to press down the brake pedal in order to shift the gears, but it sounds like it's a fuel issue you need to check to see if your getting any fuel delivery maybe replace the fuel filter when was the last time you had a major tune-up? Check your fuel rail on her if it's fuel injected or not but see if your getting any pressure with the gas coming out when you take the fuel line off. And when you turn the key can you hear the fuel pump coming on?

That's what I thought to but I have no idea about a safety nutreal switch. I've been told I could bypass it but don't know how. And it's getting fuel all the way to the injectors but I'm also not sure how to see if it's going all the way through them. I also thought it might be the security because I put a new steering column in it but it was just a regular key. The one I had before had thechip in the key

And yea the fuel pump kicks on too

965

Yeah your car has a thing called the Vatts security system I believe it is , I use to have a used 1992 Pontiac Bonneville and had all kinds of problems with that security system it had a factory car alarm and then somebody added an aftermarket car alarm to my car and it created all kinds of havoc hard to start randomly dying wouldn't start some times you name it .it's one of the early body control module type of things that they use for cars back then but it was just used for the security of the car anyway your key your ignition key is key coded to that little computer "Vatts system" I believe, you're going to have to take this key of yours to say a Chevy dealership and get them to make you a copy what they will have to do is look up your information of your computer in your car with your VIN number and then make you a copy of a key that has a computer chip in it that matches your computer in the Vats system in that way it should start for you other than that I could think of maybe your MAF sensor your is bad "anycodes?" MAF sensor could be bad? Have you ever cleaned the throttle body and the MAF sensor?

Yea that definitely makes sense. I have some things one of my friends sent me and he said they were called resistors and to hook them up to the two wires coming out of the ignition. There were like 15 or 20 of them. He said when it started I could take the one that worked to the dealership and they would know what to put in the key. I'm not really sure I dont know a whole lot bout that stuff. But what is MAF? And no I don't think I have. When my brother hooked his computer up on it the only thing it would say is o2 sensors. I'm not sure about those either tho

Oh and that because I put a different steering column and a new ignition in it.

965

Hi Matthew yeah you could do it the hard way like your friend was saying or you can take the key down to the dealership with your VIN number your vehicle identification number it would be easier for them to make a copy of the key for you. MAF sensor the MAF sensor is a mass airflow sensor I'm not sure your vehicle has one it might be the TBI system I think you might want to look that up online to find out what kind of system you have, I think you have a throttle body I'm not sure but either way clean everything up and put it back together. The O2 sensors showing that they're bad from the computer readout yeah I would replace those that can really affect the way the car runs. Good luck and let me know what you do.

Ok I really appreciate it and ok. And yea every now and then it will start but it runs really bad when it does. I'll try that and let you know thanks

965

Ok great good luck Matt!