94 firebird turns off while driving may start back may not.

Asked by Aug 17, 2012 at 09:02 PM about the 1994 Pontiac Firebird Formula

was driving down road and car just cut off  and will not start back for 2 or 3 days.changed fuel filter  
started and run 20 mins and went back to start and wouldn't crank.

1,655

Cars need fuel and spark to run. First thing you do, make sure the car has gas and the battery isn't dead. Second, with the key on, engine off (KOEO), listen for the fuel pump. It'll be a whirring sound from the rear of the car. If you hear the pump spool up, the next step is to check fuel pressure. At the back of the intake manifold, there's a fitting where you can hook up a fuel pressure tester/gauge. You can rent a fuel pressure tester from places like Autozone. At KOEO, the fuel pressure should be at ~43 psi. If all those things are good, it's probably the opti.

thanks mark will try this and see what happens.

mark the fuel pressure is at 43psi's. can you tell me what the opti is?????

1,655

The Optispark is the distributor on the LT1 engine. It's located on the front of the engine. Just to confirm, when you turn the key, will the engine spin?

yes it does

1,655

Alright. I'm going to go with my guess being on the Optispark. Recommended brands to use are an AC Delco, an OEM Part, which is generally the best one you can get, or you can get a Chandler Motor Sports Optis here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/new-optispark-distributor-94-95-96-97-camaro-corvette-/330410818641?hash=item4cee04fc51&item=330410818641&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr. That one has a lifetime warranty and are generally the second most reliable brand while being about half the price of an AC Delco. I personally have a CMS Opti and it runs great for me.

19,745

Check the crank position sensor.

1,655

The LT1 in F-Bodies didn't get a Crank Position Sensor until 96.

65

Have you checked simple things like a good ground connection? Some GM cars had a positive ground and I have seen these lead to issues such as you describe. Also, sometimes electrical components like a distributor module can heat up and cause shut down. A clogged fuel filter can also cause shut down and then will allow starting once the pressure backs off and the debries go with the fuel.

10

It's the wire coming off the ignition switch off of the steering column it gets super hot melting the connectors right at the ignition switch causing the secure fitting to become unstable and arc eventually causing you vehicle to shut down and possibly a fire. General Motors is quiet this issue because it has potential for a law suit. Go to an electrician........

I just had a similar problem my car would Drive for ten minuites or so then shutdown it would backfire just before it quit wait three or four hours an it would start back up. What it was the ignition module getting to hot . I did not change any parts , what I did was remove the coil , coil bracket , heat sinc for the ignition module, and ignition module. I took it all apart an cleaned it all then went to the source an bought heat sinc paste reapplied it to the head, coil bracket and heat sinc and especially between the ignition module and the heat sinc I cleaned all the grounds and put it back together. The heat sinc paste cost 15 dollars . Apparently there is a small air gap between the module and heat sinc that is filled with this paste that allow much better heat transfer, it has not done it since

My car is a 1995 firebird with a 350LT1 the ignition module is mounted on a heat sinc to dissipate heat before you spend any money try cleaning the heat sinc for your ignition module if it has a heat sinc

My car worked good until the warmed up, then it quit , try and check the fuel pressure an check the spark when it does it do not assume anything

My car the coil , heat sinc an ignition module are a unit on the left hand side of the engine at the front it is very easy to remove two 3/8 bolts and two plugs one for the coil and one for the ignition module make sure you unhook the battery and put all the grounds back on the unit there are three or four

And clean every thing