95 firebird 3.4 v6

10

Asked by Nov 25, 2012 at 05:52 AM about the 1995 Pontiac Firebird Base

my car will run fine then start missfiring i have replaced plugs and cleaned fuel system and checked fuses and also fuel pump runs it starts popping and willl loose all power and if u let it sit sometimes it will crank up and run fine also have replaced coolant temp sensor

32,355

Have you replaced the fuel filter?

10

twice

32,355

What happens to the fuel pressure while its running?

465

Have you checked your alternator. If the unit is not putting out the proper voltage the vehicle will run on the battery until its dead. Easy check: Start car and pull pos side cable off the battery. If the car dies, the alt is kuput. Or you can take the battery, alt, coil. plug wires to a local parts store and have them check (most do it for free) Also, check your negative cables for abrasions and shorting. Best of Luck, Mike

32,355

A bad alternator would require a jump after it died. It wouldn't be able to turn over the next day without a jump. Also a heads up, the alternator creates voltage spikes that the battery normally captures even if its dead. Unplugging the battery leaves all the onboard computers vulnerable to these spikes. This was a great test back in the day but is no longer recommended by anyone.

32,355

http://www.troubleshooters.com/ dont_disconnect_battery.htm A whole site dedicated to just that. Its also much more detailed than the basics that I put.

465

@ - John --- Goooooo back to school and quit TROLLING my post. WTF dude, get a life. Have you ever actually FIXED a car, or just initiate the user with questions. Worry about helping the man fix his car rather than dispute my answers. Your link is broken, dumbass. And I beg to differ ..... "no longer recommended by anyone". Wrong, I just recommended it. I bet you believe the world will end ... cuz someone said so.

32,355

The link isn't broken, the computer illiterate ape that's trying to use it is. Links can't contain spaces, a link takes up more than one line so everytime the line runs out of room and continues to the next line a space is automatically put at the end of the line. If you would have checked the error page you would have noticed the web address was input incorrectly due to the copy and pasting. Repaste and delete the space that automatically appears Trolling your posts, who put the first answer on here? Looks like you're following me. A bad alternator would cause the vehicle to drain the battery till there was not enough power to run which is approximately 6-8 volts. A starter requires at minimum 10 Volts to get enough amperage to crank and the computer needs another 1 to operate while cranking. So for a car to start it needs at the very least 11 volts and a bad alternator would leave only 8 so where does the other 3 come from? You say help the man fix the car, I am in fact trying to help him, you on the other are going to fry his ECM, BCM, ICM, and any other item with a circuit board in it. As for the asking questions remark, how are you going to diagnose a car without knowing symptoms? If you aren't there to diagnose a car then you need to be able to have someone else run these tests and then have them post the answers. Best way to get an answer is to ask a question. Obviously there wasn't enough info given for you to realize that he is either loosing spark or his air:fuel ratio is straying from 14.7:1. You need to go to school or at the very least learn how to properly diagnose a car. Yea alternator quits, car drains battery dies then magically restarts with that same dead battery and is able to run with a bad alternator and dead battery for a few more days till it decides to do it again. I didn't get. 3000+ score from helping people buy cars on here, every single one of my points came from a repair question that resulted in me putting someone back on the road. Did you get that 115 by helping people ruin their onboard computers?

32,355

And let rephraise something, that was a great test back in the day but no actual mechanic of today still does that or recommends it. Anyone who does is uneducated in automotive technology. BTW yes I believe the world will end moron. Our planet revolves around this thing called a sun and in a guestimated 2.5 billion years it will begin to rapidly grow and then implode on itself creating a black hole. I'm guessing somewhere in between the growing and the black hole part the world will end. As far as religion is concerned I only fear what I can see and I only believe something that can be backed by science. As far as I'm concerned the burning bush was just the result of magic mushrooms.

465

Dude I really dont know who the fuck you think you are. Your a funking little punk that has issues.... serious one's. Mind your own business and take your piece of shit truck and go back the trailer park. After you have own 2 repair shops, a Body shop, a Performance Parts Store, a Mobile Detailing Service and Supply .... then I will give fuck what you think..... Your disrespect will come back to haunt you.... considering your attitude. Your a useless child with a pussy ass 2 year degree. I got grease under my finger nails that is of more use than you. PS Go lick the battery terminals and see what happens. Really I only read the first line of your rant .... waste of your time.

32,355

You owned all these businesses huh? What happened shitty mechanics scared away business. Car comes in with an issue and the 1960s barbaric testing methods broke something else? That's what I want fixing my car is someone with multiple failed businesses.

32,355

You own a dodge Durango and compare it to a hummer? Every mechanic and previous dodge owner can tell you that those dodges need a transmission overhaul every 60,000 miles because the idiots at dodge never put a transmission cooler on a 6000 pound POS.

465

Still need that audience do YA. I laugh at you...still waiting for a reply to the private message. You remind me of the Michelin Man. Rolly polly fuck. Those aint muscles, they are baby fat....;P

32,355

Yes its fat that has taken the shape of a muscle. You got me!!!