Car died while driving. Lost all power. Got it home replaced starter charged battery. "Wont" crank over, have power, lights come on radio etc. Can hear starter engage too. Just cant get it to crank up, can anybody help?

Asked by Dec 27, 2014 at 02:34 AM about the 1996 Pontiac Sunfire 2 Dr SE Coupe

108,865

Double check all battery connections. Make sure they clean and tight. Also check the negative battery connections on the frame and motor. Double check that battery is fully charged using a meter. All because lights, radio, ect come on does not mean battery strong enough to start the engine.

Have done all that, even tried jump starting it.

Still dead, someone mentioned froze piston? But it has oil in it. Need help!!!!

108,865

Ok. With that thought about possible internal damage take a socket and wrench to the center bolt on the harmonic balancer and try to turn engine over by hand.(make sure key is off). If you can not make it turn over by hand remove all the spark plugs and try again. If auto trans have it in park. If manual trans have it in neutral with park brake set. If still can not turn by hand possibly major internal damage.

Thats what we are going to try tomorrow, I will let you know the outcome. Thanks for the advice...

well its not turning over so now we are looking for another motor to put in, got any suggestions besides salvage yards?