steering fluid leak

Asked by Feb 09, 2011 at 04:40 PM about the 1997 Pontiac Sunfire 4 Dr SE Sedan

started about 2 weeks ago, first I noticed a whispering hum as I accelerated. Then noticed steering was a bit rough so I checked PS Fluid and topped it off as it was low. Good for 4 or 5 days. Now it's every other day. I don't see anything obvious. Gasket? If so, how do I get at it to fix the little bugger?

3,705

Check the hoses for cracks. If nothing is obvious, wipe the hoses and the area around where they connect to the pump and steering gear and check for evidence of leaks. If nothing shows up on the hoses, clean off the steering box and pump and check for evidence of leaks.