Whats that sound

Asked by Oct 27, 2012 at 03:35 PM about the 1997 Pontiac Sunfire 2 Dr SE Coupe

Over the past two months i would get a weird sound coming from the engine area. when I start my car it will get a sound of what seems to be trickling water coming from the engine. it only happens about ever other start-up. and i checked to see if i am leaking any fluids under the car and there is nothing. what can it be?  

6,305

It is air in the cooling system. What you hear is that air circulation through your heater core located in the dashboard of your car. I know the exact sound. There could be a very small hole that is only sucking in air when the engine starts to cool down. When the engine is off and the coolant gets cold, the coolant starts to compress/shrink and creates a vacuum in your coolant system. This is probably when it sucks air in. Either that or there is just air in your system from the last time you got your cooling system serviced. Do you know the air bleed procedure?

No I dont. i guess my next question is, is it very important to get it fixed or can i wait until like the next oil change.