At what spped does the governor kick in on Pontiac sunfire 1997? Your answer very important for an upcoming court day for speeding. Your prompt attention is EXTREMELY appreciated.

25

Asked by Jun 17, 2007 at 10:21 PM about the 1997 Pontiac Sunfire 2 Dr GT Coupe

At what speed driving a Pontiac sunfire 1997 would the governor kick in to drop the speed of the car?
What would be the maximum speed this car would function at?
Thank you for prompt attention.
Very important for court date.

30,565

Hopefully your court date went will if its passed already. If not your best bet is to swing by a Pontiac dealer and talk to the service guys. They'll know best...or give them a call. My guess is 100mph.

well ive tried to drag race with mine and does well because it has 2.4 5 speed under the hood. mine will run generally at 174kms an hour and then shut off till i let off on the gas

45

they are governed at 107 mph thats what mine was till i reprogrammed the ecu now it has no governer

65

Yup 173 kph, You guys that are chipping be very careful if you have the isuzu tranny instead of the getrag or borg warner, The diff gears like to leave the tranny case if they are abused

995

well if your dumb enough to be maxing out your car and then getting caught for it.. i'm sure you deserve everything your gonna get:) have a nice day

15

I have a 99 pontiac sunfire , i had it at 185kph then it governd out , but it wasent on the streets , it was a perfect drag strip

35

I have a 96 sunfire and it governs out at 105mph

15

They should just be able to look at the ECM and see where the governor is set. They will not take your word on the governor when they can just go out to your car and make sure its not disabled or tampered with. How fast did they say you were going btw?

5

its between 170 and 180kms/h.

35

i had a 98 sunfire i got from my dad in toped out on him at 105 then when i got it it didnt cut out at all i had it up to 140

My 1998 Sunfire hits 110. That is as fast as it will go before the govener kicks in.

Oh and btw it is a GT.

9,095

It has to do with what speed the tires are rated for- check what speed rating your tires are rated at- that is where the computer will kick in ( unless you have overridden it with a chip or some other aftermarked item) and shut down the power until you drop below it. GMC trucks are usually around 98mph due to the speed rating of the tires (otherwise they can overheat and blow out, and you don' t want a blowout at high speeds!)