Cooling system

Asked by Mar 12, 2016 at 01:53 PM about the 1998 Pontiac Firebird Base

I have a small part on my firebird that is
cracked but I do not know what it is.  I can
provide a picture.

254,085

Post it up, under the message box is a link "add photo"

Best Answer Mark helpful

Lets see if it loads this time. I don't know much about cars and the guys at my local parts place always have an attitude with me. I guess I don't look like the kind of girl that can fix stuff.

1,285

I'm not really sure by looking at that picture but maybe your head gaskets leaking I don't know?

1,285

Can you give us the idea of the location of the part that's leaking where it's at where its located at? It looks like it's a bushing or something around something that's leaking but it's hard to tell what it is give us more information please.

It's located directly above the water pump. Someone suggested it could possibly be a by pass of some sort. It's plastic and L shaped. I was told to call the dealership and they would be able to help me.

Here is a different picture. It is located in the red box.

1,285

Is it leaking a lot of coolant? Do you have to add a lot of coolant all the time is it leaking coolant a lot? The water pump has a bypass I believe if it freezes or locks up meaning not operating anymore it pushs the coolant out of a bypass but I'm not sure that's happening here?

1,285

I don't think it's leaking out the bypass and if I remember correctly the bypass is like a little hole and it seeps out coolant when the water pump fails and I believe it's usually on the bottom of the water pump and that's the top right when's the last time you had the water pump replaced it looks like it just was done like you just had the water pump replaced it could be the gasket leaking around the water pump I don't know?

It leaks a lot of coolant. It just pours out.

1,285

Well to me if that's the water pump area which it looks like it is and it's leaking around that area it's probably a bad gasket or the water pump failed my guess I don't know when the repair was done last for the water pump?

Yes I just replaced the water pump. The water is leaking from that plastic part. Let me run out and get pics of it leaking.

1,285

Well I would go back to the shop that replaced your water pump and have them repair it under warranty.

Here is an idea of where it leaks

1,285

That's kind of strange I don't quite know what that is what part that is? I would dry that area thoroughly and then put some silicone around all over it and hopefully I'tl get you to the garage for repairs.

That's kinda what I was thinking. The guys at the parts store didn't know what it is either. I have researched but haven't found the answer. Thank for y'all's help!

1,285

Yeah no problem I'm glad I could help it almost looks like that's just a plastic cap to stop the coolant but it should be a metal cap inside the cylinder head or something to block the coolant from coming out it's kind of strange it might be that somebody just jerry-rigged it and put that plastic piece in there and didn't have the correct metal part for the engine? if I was you I would go to a Chevy dealership and ask them to show you the engine diagram and find out what exactly it is. It looks like maybe your water pumps fine but just that little plastic piece that's failing this should probably be a metal cap instead of the plastic.

It's not a cap. It's L-shaped and extends back into the engine. I have been able to figure out a lot on this car but this one has me stumped. This is the first time I haven't been able to repair something myself. It's kind of a blow to my ego.

1,285

Okay so its supposed to be an inlet Outlet a link between the engine and another part of the engine so it should be a metal tube in between the two engine parts or something is kind of strange? Yeah I would say go to a Chevy dealership and have them order the correct "should be a metal" part in and that way you'll know how to install it & if you don't have a shop manual that would be helpful too get one also check YouTube sometimes you'll find like a real video that has information about your particular problem.