ABS responds too much?

20

Asked by Nov 16, 2013 at 11:31 PM about the 1998 Pontiac Bonneville 4 Dr SE Sedan

When I put my foot on the brake, the steering wheel and brake both shake, it feels like driving on an oval, but only when braking.

20

Could I also have a tie-rod acting up, or just the ABS?

You probably do not need the whole hub...just the ninety dollar sensor part...that picture ain't the right picture...tie rod...do not drive it...got to be squirrely...not safe to continue driving one like that~

20

Would the tie-rod only act up when the brakes are depressed? I know how to check for tie-rod, and yes, it would get parked if I found tie-rod issues.

the tie rods are what makes the wheels turn....they are important~ usually you can get 50,000 miles...they won't let you grease them anymore but replace the tie rod ends...parking yes...would be noticeable.....but best to examine them...will drive "Squirrely" and out-of-control if you need them~

the steering should be unPhased by the brakes~ seeems not right this~

Best Answer Mark helpful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpI6J_97VCc

20

I'm glad I asked more questions. Something just made me wonder. Thank you, thank you, kind sir!

257,735

I have to ask when you apply the brakes, does the ABS light come on in the gauge cluster, or you just think the ABS is responding?

20

No, the light doesn't come on. It started as just feeling like the ABS responded a bit too hard, then the steering wheel started getting slightly shaky when I pressed the brakes, as well as the brake pedal feeling like there was too much ABS response.

front rotors warped