Should I put a new transmission in a 15 year old car?

Asked by Nov 17, 2015 at 12:16 PM about the 2000 Pontiac Sunfire SE

I have a 2000 pontiac sunfire with a blown transmission in it. Is it worth
investing $3000 in a car like this or should I scrap it and get a different used

I would definitely recommend taking your $3,000, and getting another car, this time look at an Asian car.

I had an old 1995 Honda Accord EX with 150,000 miles and the original transmission. Did your car even have 150,000 miles on it?

First of all, you need not pay $3000 for a transmission. Then it depends on mileage on engine, has it had proper maintenance, i.e. is it a good engine. Then maybe. I will look up what it costs to replace transmission

The engine has 143000 mile on it and seems in decent condition. There is a slow oil drip coming from the upper mail plug, the AC unit needs replacing, and it needs new tires. I was quoted 2300 for a used transmission and labor, but with some other extras and incidentals I was budgeting 3k overall

We were posting at the same time Mark. Anyway, you can get a good used trans for $500 or so, a rebuilt (good as new) for $1100, labor maybe $800. Even using $100/hour labor figure, it does not take all day to R&R a transmission. So it should be more like under $2,000. Whomever quoted you $3,000is trying to rip you off. But we need to go back to engine... only you know that - if it's worth it. KBB puts it at $2,002 in 'good' condition. If I were in your position I would not begin a money-pit. I agree with Mark, use whatever money you have on another car

Best Answer Mark helpful

$2300 is WAY too much to pay for a used transmission -installed. Don't do it

Scrap it!

denger23- your call, these cars have a not so hot record of repairs, see this attachment below,

I have the same problem except mine is 2005. You can buy a transmission on EBay for $75 and up. Not sure on labor but I'll probably ha problem with torque converter too so I'm not liking the money aspect. My question is what do I do with the car?? Scrap it for $30? Has brand new battery. Just paid $100, to fix electric window and tires are good. Body has one small dent in bumper. But I guess I just have to eat it and scrap it for nothing????