Service Light on (Wrench with service next to it)

Tim Marshall
85

Asked by May 04, 2008 at 12:48 PM about the 2000 Pontiac Sunfire SE Coupe

I have no idea what it is and it wasnt on my 97 SE. I have searched my manual that i had bought for overhauls and such but no luck. It has been on since ive gotten it and it hasnt caused any problems. I've ran it on my fathers computer and it comes up with nothing. Any ideas?

38,205

Must be something, have it checked out by a dealership, your father's computer may not be able to pull transmission codes, etc.

Tim Marshall
85

my father is a mechanic of his own company. But thanks i will check it up

Larry Thibert
1,880

Get your father to fix it..

Adam Morgan
6,945

A thought, didn't pontiacs have the 'Check Engine' Light?.... I'm trying to thick, it's been awhile, but it might just be a service light I think on GM's Turn the key to on, but don't start, pump the gas three times, and then push and hold the brake... That's if it's a service light. That's if it's a service (change oil) light. Easy way to check is when you turn your car on it should run thru a dash diagnostic where all the light light up for a second or two. If there is a 'check engine' light in addition to that one, then all you need to do is reset it like I said. If there isn't a check engine light, then goto a dealer. The pocket OBD 2 sensors only pick up the generic codes not the model specific or additional system codes. (IE most ABS problems won't show on a pocket OBD scanner but required emissions malfunctions will)

Tim Marshall
85

Well they do have a check engine light but its just the sign of the engine because mine was built from mexico i beleive and irritating/hard to read the mph since its missing the 30mph and 45 and 55 markers. Besides that, ive reset it mulitple times after i have changed the oil (every 3000 miles) and pops right back on as soon as i get the car rolling. That might be it i just remembered that my passenger front tire has no abs becuase the sensor was mutilated by a previous owner and i just never took the time to replace it due to my budget. Thanks now i feel like an idiot :) . pesky ABS never liked it anyways.

campisi
120

Alright EVERYONE.....the wrench means minature headlamp for $2.26 you can fix at Walmart then my Highbeam light was also out and that was $7.78.....It is not the Oil change....although i did need this done i did have this done after the light was changed.....Whew lucky it wasn't serious....

Thumper83
95

The wrench means several things. I just had an issue with my Avatal Alarm/Remote Start in my '02 SE. The "Security Theft" and "Service" lights came on simultaneous. The "service" light was indicatiing that my fuel pump was not functioning, which is part of the 2000-2005 gm anti-theft system. My resistances were off by a few ohms, and set my alarm into theft mode, which shut down my fuel pump to keep the car from "being stolen". The resistance issue set off the "Security theft" light while the fuel pump set off the "service" light.

Tammy Morton
10

OMG I immediately went out to my car to see if the miniature headlamp was out and you are right! man i thought my car i just bought was going to need major engine work! THANK U !

Tammy Morton
10

THANK U Campisi

nocarissuesneeded
80

The service light with a wrench symbol is a non emissions light. GM uses this light for oil change (based on oil condition) and headlight issues. The reset process once these are fixed is comical but easy to do. You need to (while car is off) pump gas 1 time & break 1 time; Then turn your key to the on (but not cranked) positions; pump the gas 3 times, press and hold the break 15 seconds; turn the car to off and then crank it and the reset is complete.

dangcard
0

Ok here is i have my question a 02 sunfire I pull out of my drive way and a red break light came on what is it anyone know ?

Bobby Cecil
20

Will a service wrench light pass emissions?