Why would my service light be on my 2002 pontiac sunfire?

dflat
30

Asked by Feb 24, 2010 at 09:43 AM about the 2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE

My service light comes on and stays on as soon as I put my car into drive. It doesn't come on until I actually put the car into drive. But then sometimes it doesn't come on at all. This just started yesterday. I am curious what all reasons would cause this light to come on? I have a check engine light, but that isn't coming on. So is this something not related to the engine?

Ryan Devenport
195

Change or Oil and reset the light the owners manual will guide you through how to reset the light but if you dont change your oil it will just come back on.. GM used a oil monitoring system that basically tells you when to do oil changes not determined by length of travel or time but by oils current condition inside of your engine.

Ashley Weissert
25

you can always take your car to carx or something to get a scanner hooked up to it. it might just be some codes that you can erase. need to get it checked out though, you won't pass emissions with that light on.

dflat
30

I just had my oil changed last week so I don't know what else there would be wrong.

Ashley Weissert
25

you need to get it scanned hello!

Will Duncan
150

The service light doesn't relay codes. Only the check engine light will register OBD-2 trouble codes. The check engine light will come on if there are any emission malfunctions. The service light may indicate a problem with ABS, transmission system, or tach system.

Will Duncan
150

Oh, almost forgot. May be a problem with the headlights. Chances are its your daytime running lights since it comes on once you put it into drive. I would check that first.

nocarissuesneeded
80

The service light with a wrench symbol is a non emissions light. GM uses this light for oil change (based on oil condition) and headlight issues. The reset process once these are fixed is comical but easy to do. You need to (while car is off) pump gas 1 time & break 1 time; Then turn your key to the on (but not cranked) positions; pump the gas 3 times, press and hold the break 15 seconds; turn the car to off and then crank it and the reset is complete.

Melissa Lundstrom
10

Ok I had oil changed did the reset and put car in gear it made the clicking sound lights flashed and service light came on. So now what do I need to check

Preytell9
0

Get a different car! I have same car & same problems. Still tring to pass emissions. Have done everything, light comes on periodacally anyway. Am pulling my hair out & going broke ta boot!

Sparkman66
10

I have a 2000 Sunfire and found that there was a bad wire between the large connector under the battery and the headlights. The DRL relay would click a few times as soon as I put the car in gear and then the Service light would come on. I replaced that wire and have not had a problem since.

grantsville1
10

Problem with 2000 Sunfire. Problem just started yesterday. Turn headlamps on and all good during night drive. Morning comes, turn headlights off and headlights flash numerous times along with clicking noise and Service light with wrench symbol comes on. Same symptom if started and as soon as put in to gear, flashing and clicking and Service light. Searching forums points to headlamps. Sure enough, the RH high beam does not work. Just replaced it. Same issue. Low beams and driving lights all work, just no RH high beam. What do you think?

Dustinsthecarguy
0

Put fog lights on my 2002 sunfire once and when I drilled into the dashboard by the fuse box and drilled into three wires. One was to the fuel pump. Two was to the trac system. Three was to the left head light. And I put all the wires back together but some how my head light wire didn't connect and when I would start the car it was fine but when I put it in gear it would click like three times and my head lights would go off and the service light would come on. I fixed the wire problem solved. So my guess would be a bad wire or a fuse or headlight