what is a heating assembly?

70

Asked by Feb 22, 2015 at 05:24 PM about the 2000 Pontiac Montana Base Extended

I have 2000 Pontiac Montana, had head gaskets replaced at 80K, had AC condenser and compressor replaced at 155K, had transmission replaced 165K, had no heat last year til heater core was flushed, but this winter, had new thermostat, then heater core flushed, and now a week later cold air and overheating. I was told heating assembly was cracked. I am having trouble finding parts. I was told not to use a used one. Any comments?

257,785

Did they mean the radiator, or possible the Heat controls? Over heating is more due to air in the system.

70

I spoke with mechanic today, they said "heating assembly hose is cracked" and parts are going to run me $300. So I contacted local dealer to get a little bit more info and they said there are over 7 different hoses that could be cracked. the only hose that would run over 300$ would be the heater hose that control the rear heat and even that has an aluminum repair kit. I am sooo confused. I am tempted to just go pick up my van and take it else where.

5,285

If the heater core developed a "crack" due to the flushing that was done, you would either see or smell coolant inside your car. The liquid has to go somewhere and the heater core typically leaks into or out below the car's floor. Are you seeing any coolant or smelling it when driving the car? It doesn't sound like you are getting solid info from your service shop. You may want a second opinion.

70

No, I did not see coolant. I did smell the coolant though. The temp did start to overheat after the core was flushed. The "heating assembly hose" that was cracked and needs repairs sounds like the hose that controls the rear AC/Heat, not the front heat. And yes, I agree I need a second opinion. I was warned not to drive it at this time due to the possibility of blowing head gaskets. grumble grumble