01 sunfire service, check engine, oil and abs light coming on and off.

10

Asked by Feb 26, 2012 at 11:47 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Sunfire SE

My 01 sunfires service, check engine, oil and and
sensors keep coming on and going jack off. The
come on and go off while driving. No particular
actions causing the change. Any idea why they are
all coming on like this? It doesn't seem to be
running any different than it always has.

365

Something in the ECU is triggering the action. Could be a problem or a loose sensor, you should get the code read either at autzone or your dealer to see what exact area is triggering the CEL.

10

Thanks. I was thinking/hoping a sensor or wire was just loose. I'll check that in the morning.

415

I would have to agree with Andrew. It is very difficult to say what the cause is for your light if it is completely random. One possibility would be the evap vent solenoid. Those are a very common failed part on a wide variety of GM vehicles, and you won't really notice any performance changes necessarily. Of course the same goes for several other possibilities, including O2 sensors and loose gas caps. Good luck with your diagnostics!

105

I've had my 99 Sunfire for about 3 yrs and mine do that too. I had work done to "fix" it but they still come on periodically. It's just how Sunfires are. The only concern I have is if my car isn't running right or if it's due for an e-check then I'll have my car serviced.

Best Answer
10

Well, now its my abs, trac, and service with a wrench on all the time. So weird.

415

Those three lights would most likely be indicative of an ABS sensor, or wheel speed sensor (same thing). If the sensors themselves are in good shape, the jumper harnesses that run to them could be damaged. I had these lights on my 2004 Sunfire and had to have some of the wiring repaired to the left front (I think) wheel speed sensor. The sensor was okay, but the wires had rubbed through. Not a terribly difficult fix if you are good with wiring and have means to get underneath the car. Until the issue has been taken care of you will most likely notice ABS activation at stops, and reduced traction, especially on take- off.

10

I have a 2002 Sunfire and those three lights have gone off numerous times. I know for a fact that it is a bad wheel speed sensor. I have replaced both my right and left about three times so far and they always end up bad again (as one of them are again now). I'm assuming it's just a Sunfire problem. I'm also from Michigan so our weather is always rough on sensors.

10

dmdixon88, I will definitely be looking into replacing my jumper harness as you suggested previously. It gets a little frustrating to see my lights going off after I have already purchased a total of six sensors. I'm guessing that a bad harness could be causing them to go bad?