2001 Bonneville SEI - Making a horrible noise when excellerating

Asked by Jul 13, 2010 at 08:15 AM about the 2001 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi

Recently, after driving through a large puddle of water, (in case that matters) my Bonnie is making a lound noise when it reaches about 30 mph. She sounds like an airplane that's going to take off. Does anyone have a clue to what the heck this is? She is running fine, but I'm affraid driving it may be damaging it, not to mention it's really annoying. It almost sounds like the RPM's are reving up before changing gears, but there not.

wheel bearings may be going out... my 2000lesabre was replaced sounding like that.

Thank you Jason...you are exactly right! I gave in and called my mechanic, she had me stop in to take a look and both front wheel bearings need replacing. Although, I'm told it has a ways to go and will get much louder before it's dangerous! Yikes, can't even imagine. I decided to park her until I get my bonus check next month. That will cover the near $800 bill I was quoted! Thanks again. Angela

..the odd part is the bearings went out at only 38k miles. its very premature. its like the factory did not put much grease on it! odd