How long does it take for the evap and condenser codes to stop flashing after they have been reset

60

Asked by Jan 20, 2016 at 08:39 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Bonneville SE

I recently had some work done and all the codes cleared and those 2 are still flashing

73,065

Need to have from 1/4 to 3/4 tank of gas before it will cycle, it may take a few days.

60

I have about a half a tank and have driven about 75 miles .

69,385

Rowefast is correct. Sounds like the problem wasn't fixed. What trouble codes do you have. The codes will be four digits and have the letter "P" before the numbers. For example P0302 is misfire cylinder number 2. For an EVAP system leak you may need a smoke test to find it. HTH. -Jim

60

The only code that is showing is a c1245 code. Talked to a mechanic and he said the condenser and evap codes take longer to calculate since i live in upstate NY

73,065

That c1245 code has to do with the ABS system. C1245 - ABS Outlet Valve Coil LR Circuit Short To Ground

69,385

Thanks Rowefast. That's a different computer and will not reset until the problem is fixed. Each time you shut off the ignition that computer is cleared. When you start the car up again the ABS computer runs a diagnosis of the system. Each time the problem pops up, in this case every start up, the code resets. Personally I'd visit another mechanic on this. HTH. - Jim

60

Thats just it i do not have a abs issue. i also heard it could be the tire pressure sensor which is linked to the abs

69,385

Just did some more digging on this. You're correct. It may be the TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System). This is a new one on me! According to AllData the code must be cleared by using a scan tool that can communicate with the TPMS. Interesting, I just learned something new!! HTH. -Jim

73,065

c1245, ABS outlet valve coil LR shorted to ground. So I am taking this as something wrong with TPMS at the Left Rear wheel valve stem? What do you think Js08016?

69,385

Maybe not the valve stem, Rowefast. On these earlier TPMS the computer determines one of the tires is low on air by the tire RPMs. If one is off it triggers the low tire pressure light. It's called an indirect TPMS. A direct TPMS system has pressure sensors in the tires and is more accurate. In this case I believe the system uses the ABS wheel speed sensors to determine wheel speed and proper tire inflation. Most GMs of the early 2000s have the ABS sensors incorporated in the wheel bearing hub so there's no pressure sensor in the tire for the TPMS. My '02 Impala had TPMS but my '00 Grand Prix does not. I know these systems were required by the Federal Government so I'm guessing 2001 was the first year. Although my '03 S-10 doesn't have TPMS so I'll have to do some research and find out when these systems became mandatory. Maybe like seat belts and other safety features truck requirements came later. So back to the poster's question I'm now thinking the same as you. It's the left rear hub assembly or the wiring going to it. I'm glad I jumped on this thread. It's been very educational!! HTH. -Jim

60

ok i have since replaced the egr valve and thermostat . how long you think before the c and evap clear . i have no codes showing and cel is not on

69,385

Drive normally for a few days with the gas tank between 3/4 and 1/4 full. No more and no less. This will allow the computer to run the diagnostics on all the engine systems and set the readiness monitors. The EVAP system is the hardest readiness monitor to get to set especially if you're in a cold climate. If after about a week or so you don't have a check engine light you should be good to go. To pass an emissions inspection your '01 model can have 1, but only 1, readiness monitor not set. HTH. -Jim

60

I did not have any codes prior to replacing the egr valve. i replaced it yesterday and as i was driving today the cel came on and the scanner displayed the p0401 insufficient egr flow. Any ideas . Thanks

69,385

Why did you replace the EGR valve if it wasn't setting a trouble code? If it works, don't fix it! Put the old EGR valve back on and clear the computer. But don't plug the EGR valve in until after you've cleared the computer and shut off the ignition. This way the computer can learn the closed position of the EGR valve. HTH. -Jim

60

I did that now just have to hope the computer reads all monitors