HELP HELP W Exhaust & Mufflers

155

Asked by Dec 12, 2009 at 12:54 PM about the 2003 Pontiac Vibe GT

Can anyone tell me? A cat back system is it worth the $$$ ? does it really help? what  about just changing to a performance muffler?  an what kind does a person get ? I dont want a lot of noise, so many 4cly sound like a dive bombing cessna airplane or a banging tin can....  or with the newer cars  like this  is there any gain with a exhaust system?. like what you used to get from the good old days when duel exhaust really did somthing for power & MPG. It seems to me as long as the cat is still there, that there will always be back pressure, no matter what muffler you use? am I way off here or ???   

get a high flow cat with the size pipes going from the manifold allthe way to the tips in the back, but make it "legal".

1,605

Check out www.genvibe.com for excellent info and reviews on the Vibe. I've had my Vibe since July of 2002 and I have A LOT of time and money invested in it. With our cars, you need a somewhat restrictive muffler because our cars NEED the back-pressure or you will lose a signifficant amount of what little power they have. I would go with either Borla or Magnaflow axel back/cat back system. You will pay more for them but they sound GREAT. Anything else will sound like you said, raspy and like an airplane. The Borla and Magnaflow are real deep and classy sounding. I always get compliments. Unfortunately there are minimal gains from an exhaust upgrade with the Vibe/Matrix. Even if you buy a performance header like the one DC Sports makes, you wont gain any power from it. You may get less then 5hp from an exhaust system. If you want to talk to me more in depth about different options you can do to gain more power, email me at dyingstar@email.com, add me as a friend on Facebook, or IM me on AIM, screen name is RollinVibe. Hope all that helps you.

Cat back exhaust will definitely sound nice but the gain will be marginal. Get cold Air intake for better results