How do I remove the power steering pump and the crankshaft pulley on a 2003 base pontiac vibe?

35

Asked by Dec 29, 2013 at 11:01 PM about the 2003 Pontiac Vibe Base

I am in the process of replacing the timeing chain. I have hit 2 roadblocks. I can not seem to find the last bolt on the power steering pump. I have pulled 3 long bolts out of it and it is not budging. I also have no idea how to get the pulley off of the crankshaft. I turn the 3/4 bolt and the entire pulley turns. Any help would be appreciated.

22,415

You are entering into esoteric ground, doing your own work- the crank pulley is a common problem for home mechanics- a pro will just get an air gun on it and torque it off- be creative at home- put a big screwdriver blade between the pulley and v belt- that will keep it from turning- then a big breaker bar might loosen the nut- if you get the nut off, the pulley itself might need a puller to get it off- pray it doesn't- there are other ways to do this of course- as for the pump, you must look closer and find what's holding it- my Guru always said "You must be smarter than the car" ooommmmmm

35

This is what I did this evening. With the advice of the local auto parts store, I did what I had seen on a youtube video and placed a 1/2 inch rachet with a 3/4 inch socket on the bolt. I placed the handle of the rachet on the frame and set a jack stand under the handle to keep it held in place. I placed a towel over the front a-arm and popped the starter once and voila. I was skeptical to do this but after the guys at the store were adamant about this working, I built up the courage and went with it. I wouldn't suggest this to any individual who is not somewhat mechanically inclined though. It is very dangerous if the wrench were to slip and fly off.

22,415

Like I said, there are other ways to do it- and you found the slick "cheater" way- you understand, of course, why Gurus can not recommend procedures such as this- even if they work!

Best Answer