!over heating issue!

Asked by Jan 07, 2014 at 01:00 PM about the 2006 Pontiac Torrent FWD

i recently replaced the head gasket,cylinder and themostat because it cracked and over heated. since than, a week later it over heated again. took it back to the same place (midas) they said a valve was not tighten and that moisture ended up freexing the valve so the antifreeze was stuck and wasnt circulating.. well a month later, while idling my temp. gadge tends to rise above where its susposed to be..when i drive it moves down to where it should be. Can anyone tell me what it could be?? i dont want to be stranded in the bitter cold!

4,575

Anytime a head gasket blows due to overheating you absolutely MUST check the head for warping. You mentioned that a 'cylinder' was replaced, can you be more specific? As to the high temp while idling, this is due to poor coolant circulation. Poor circulation can be caused by many things - a stuck control valve, stuck t-stat, air in the system, failing water pump, clogged radiator, the list is nearly endless. You might want to have the cooling system power flushed, it's not expensive (you can do it yourself, there are kits available) as a first step.