Why won't igntion switch turn off?

Asked by Apr 27, 2016 at 04:26 PM about the 1997 Oldsmobile Achieva 4 Dr SL Sedan

Suddenly the key in the ignition won't turn off. I can turn the engine off but the
gauges are on. Should I disconnect the battery?
You guys helped me a lot when I had the security switch problem. That was at
least a year ago.

Try your other key the easiest thing, but If that doesn't work you might need to have the lock and cylinder replaced, it's EASY! and the final possibility the electronic ignition switch might be worn out after 19 years. Regards

if it's automatic, make sure you're in PARK... also, there may be a small button next to your key/ignition, you have to press it to release the key... or, your ignition switch is faulty... or, your steering wheel lock is faulty, or try to turn steering wheel to unlock it while trying to get the key out...