I have an 98 oldsmobile regency that's top speed is 85mph. What to do for it to hit triple digits and go faster?

Asked by May 25, 2014 at 08:45 PM about the 1998 Oldsmobile Regency 4 Dr STD Sedan

77,825

Is it the engine electronic governor kicking in or does it just run out of power?

Best Answer

Out of power

77,825

Have the exhaust system back pressure tested, it may not be flowing as it should, next check the fuel pressure and flow, it could be just plain leaning out. Of course you have already checked plugs wires and filters, right?

Yeah

But on my speed gauge it doesn't got any number after 85

77,825

So your speedo only goes to 85, but the car will go faster than 85, right? Do you have a digital readout or analog meter?

Yea my Speedo only goes to 85 and stop the car want go any faster. I have a analog. I just want my car to do at least a 120

It's old and Its stock , I haven't made any changes yet. It was giving to my by grandfather. But it's not fast enough and I want it to go faster for racing

77,825

I doubt you will make 120 in it, try checking around wrecking yards for 120 speedo head you might get lucky, and it still sounds like the speed governor is kicking in at 85, if you have the bucks you can buy a re- programmer for year make and model and change the setting or remove it in the re- programmer, go online to check them out.

Thanks