I recently let the gas needle go into "red zone". After filling up with 91 Octane, about 1/2 mile car began sputtering. I changed Fuel Filter, but still sputtering. Please HELP...!!!

Asked by Jul 27, 2015 at 10:25 PM about the Oldsmobile Regency

My car is a 1991 Oldsmobile 98 Regency

27,165

what year?engine?..

100,545

You should never run less than 1/4 tank in a vehicle that has an in tank fuel pump, the reason is that the fuel pump uses the fuel as a coolant, when it get below the 1/4 mark the fuel pump is above the fuel level so it starts to run hotter than normal and that shortens its life, if run too long the pump starts to fail. I don't know if this is your problem but it sounds like a possibility, you can run a fuel pressure and flow test to confirm if that is it.

27,165

hi TS..could be or so much junk in the bottom trashed the filter /pick up again..

100,545

True but if he has to go there might as well replace the pump at the same time. I have found out that if the pickup screen is plugged the pump has already suffered pressure vane damage and may not make proper pressure and or flow for engine demands.

27,165

check fuel pressure/volume and we will all know...