help, my transmission will only go in reverse, 1996 ford explorer, tried adding tranny fluid, stop slip, going thru PRND21 in 2WD 4WD and 4WDL, plus transfer case bolt replaced before break down

Asked by Apr 17, 2014 at 12:15 AM about the 1996 Ford Explorer 2 Dr XL 4WD SUV

my transmission will only go in reverse, 1996 ford explorer, tried adding tranny fluid, stop slip, going thru PRND21 in 2WD 4WD and 4WDL, plus transfer case bolt replaced before break down.

by razberi: its a 4door 4wd suv, front tires replaced with tires identical to each other same size as rear but different brand from rear, alignment slightly off but no more problem shifting and driving that day. next day at stoplight it no longer went forward in any gear just reverse, no leak found, transfer case bolt replaced way before cause it was stripped and causing catching and lurching when shifting, idk mileage od stopped at 178xxx about 3yrs ago.

James Ramond

sounds like a tired old transmission , time for a replacement.

Check the linkage to the transmission while someone shifts through the gears to ensure it is moving. If it is moving then the pump inside the tranny is probably shot. If the tranny was slipping before total failure, time for an internal repair.

Recently had this problem and it was the catalytic converter

i have 1991 f150 5.8 has overdrive and i was driving no lights on the dash or anything and i lost all forward gears only have reverse any ideas its also 4x4

The reverse clutch within the transmission may have frozen up, which could be caused by lack of maintenance, low fluid levels over time, and over heating. Could be that the shift cables need adjusted, or the vehicles computer could have simply defaulted. To find out if this is the problem, try unplugging the battery connectors for about ten minutes then reconnect them to reset it. Finally, it could be a solenoid within the transmission. I had a car once upon a time that the solenoids got fried, and since they function based on picking up electric signals within the trans to open and close fluid valves, this was no good. Your solenoids are what physically cause the gears to change, they either allow or stop pressurized trans fluid from flowing. Either way, I would take it to the garage and have it checked, because there are various reason for this to have happened.