Spare Holder - STIFF

Asked by Jul 02, 2009 at 02:55 PM about the 1991 Nissan Pathfinder 4 Dr SE 4WD SUV

The spare tire holder on my Pathfinder is VERY stiff. It swings to the passenger side to give access to the back lift door and it is very difficult to operate. I've tried oil and that doesn't help much. I figure there must be some way of lubricating it so it swings easier but I don't know what they would be.

can anyone help?

55

try taking the pins or bolts or whatever the carrier swings on, apart, clean them up with a wire wheel/brush, I suspect the problem is just some rust build up where you can't see it