Stiff Steering

50

Asked by Feb 11, 2009 at 05:09 PM about the 2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

About a month ago my steering started acting up.  It is very stiff when turning a corner, but during the turn it also goes back to "normal", then stiff again.  Also when turning the wheel it won't return back to the straight position.  It seems like when it is warmer out it doesn't act up as much.  Someone said maybe the steering knuckle. When I jacked the car up the wheel turns freely no stiffness. I sprayed wd40 on the knuckle and it seems 100%  better, but it is also 50 degrees today. Not sure if the temp has anything to do with it.  Does anyone know the symptoms of a bad knuckle, or could it be the pump or the rack??? Thanks for your help.

155

there is a knuckle (u-joint) in the steering shaft, that has probablly gone bad. mine did the same thing

50

What is the part called that you replaced. When I do a search for u-joint it can't find it for this car? Thanks for your help

155

I think you have to replace the lower steering shaft, I am not sure if the u- joint can be purchased by itself. You might want to try nissanhelp.com someone might be able to give you more insight there

80

I have a 2005 Altima SE and I have the u-joint steering shaft problem too. I have low mileage 58000kl 4 year old car. What kind of crappy part is it they are passing off on customers? I never heard of that joint going in all of the old cars I have ever owned, let alone a 4 year old vehicle!

40

AGREED I have a versa 2007 and it has 70K The noise started at 65K I need a steering knuckle replacement 350 BUCKS!!! Nissan sucks Plus i had my motor replaced at 45K

65

Had the same problem with 2002 Altima. There is no alternative other than to spend money on the lower steering shaft. I had to replace the same parts. $ 320 gone...but now it is much easier to drive. 90% cases , shaft which has the U-joint has to be replaced. Only 10% are lucky if there is motor issue or steering oil leak .They are cheaper than to replace the shaft.

Everyone need to post these complaints on car.gov site so we can get a recall for this.

10

I replaced my steering rack and pinon and steering pump still making a noise and before I spray some WD-40 on the U joint and it did help.

10

Thanks PaRiah ! My steering was acting up, grabbing whenever I turned the wheel right or left. I took your advice and sprayed it with WD-40 and that solved the problem. If it happens again I might spray it with white lithium grease instead.

10

My car is steering getting hard after the transplantation of CVT transmission box when i climb my car upto an inclined surface the steering gets softer but on straight it gets harder and when i turned up complely it starts with kit kit huming and minor jerking

10

My 2005 3.5SE is leaking a major amount of fluid, I have to refill once per week. One mechanic says I need a new rack, leaks everywhere. Could this be the case or something else? Replacing the rack is going to cost either a lot of money to have someone do or a lot of my time and money to do myself. Thank you in advance

20

My 05 altima is acting up when I would turn to right side it would become hard but not on the left side but I drove it today and now it is hard to turn both ways. What can it be?

I had the same problem