'96 Maxima GXE--constantly turning off at low rpm(sometimes while moving)

A Facebook user
65

Asked by May 20, 2009 at 12:07 PM about the 1996 Nissan Maxima GXE

has anyone had to deal with the problem in the past? im guessing its related to idle, or something with idle--idle air control? maybe something with vacuum pressure? the car likes to turn off when slowing down to a red light, stop sign, etc.....it will turn right back on, but constantly is turning off while trying to downshift back down to 1st gear.....could this be related to the tranny/torque converter? plz help

A Facebook user
45

Did you tweaked the little plastic black bolt over the Throttle-Body to control the idle ? the idle should be at 650/700+- RPM

A Facebook user
65

the idle had been raised....the car would still turn off.....the car has no cat converter.....i had that replaced with a straight pipe, but the cat had a sensor on it, im guessing the secondary O2 sensor....but that wouldn't cause the car to be turning off like it is.....im lost!

Daniel Carrion
45

I have a '97 Maxima SE and i was having the exact same issue. Its your Mass Air Flow sensor. Once I changed my, the car was riding like new again. Installation took like 10 minutes. Check that out.

A Facebook user
65

thanks man

Daniel Carrion
45

No problem.

willbur
30

don't replace the mass air flow sensor just yet if it gets dirty or a spider web gets attach. to the filament yes i said spider web it can have all problems that you are having .go to the auto parts and buy a can mass air flow cleaner try that first good luck

roman3860
20

My 1996 nissan maxima does the same crap please help me!!

Rafael Avalos
10

I had the same problem I replaced just about everything that had to do with the ignition, and nothing help. Then i found this wise man that told me to replace the coolant temp sensor, so i did. And after spending alot of money on spark plugs and all that other stuff a simple to change out twenty dollar sensor fixed my problem. My car now has 200,000 miles on it today and still runs like a champ. I live this 1996 maxima

hutchison79
30

I have a 1996 Maxima and for a while my car would randomly stall out and/or die on me with no warning. After a while I would have to turn the key several times to start, in addition to that. I was told it could be the MAF, throttle position censor, vacuum leak etc. Turns out it was a $30 Ignition Switch. Problem solved and runs beautifully.

JDaWn068
30

I have currently same exact problems.... Have replaced battery,2 oxygen sensors,knock sensor,computer,unhooked radio thinking due to possible short, still have exact same probs!! Dies while driving!! When at light, put car in neutral and push on gas, this willwill help until u can fix car! Always have plenty of gas, when mine gets 1/4 or less it starts dying all the time!

Nefti Robles Jr.
0

My 96 maxi auto dies sometimes at a light or coming to a stop sign. I press the gas and it chokes/stutters. Sometimes the idle is at like 300- 400 i quickly throw it in neutral nd give some gas will save it but if i let go of gas she will simply die. The camshaft angle sensor black plastic is cracked over the gold ring for the bolt can that be it? Things ive done : change knock sensor. Change fuel filter. Spark plugs. Engine/trans oil drain and refill. Cleaned magnetic tips on crank/cam shaft sensors. Raised idle to 800 (to try nd stop the stalling at lights) What can it be cause its starting to get dangerous? Also i changed the knock sensor myself so i can tackle most tasks under the hood. What i havent done : clean iac flean throttle position sensor. Checked for vacuum leaks. Someone help me plez

JDaWn068
30

So I eventually sold the car to a mechanic for $500, and low and behold he fixes the Maxair flow and he's now driving the car that I'd had everything else replaced and put around $1000 in...that's the thing, I may not know much about csrs, but when I tell the mechanic the problems with the car and even mentioning most Nissan have Maxair flow problems, these mechanics ignore my input and fix what the computer says.....