'96 Maxima GXE--constantly turning off at low rpm(sometimes while moving)

75

Asked by May 20, 2009 at 12:07 PM about the 1996 Nissan Maxima GXE

has anyone had to deal with the problem in the past? im guessing its related to idle, or something with idle--idle air control? maybe something with vacuum pressure? the car likes to turn off when slowing down to a red light, stop sign, etc.....it will turn right back on, but constantly is turning off while trying to downshift back down to 1st gear.....could this be related to the tranny/torque converter? plz help

65

Did you tweaked the little plastic black bolt over the Throttle-Body to control the idle ? the idle should be at 650/700+- RPM

75

the idle had been raised....the car would still turn off.....the car has no cat converter.....i had that replaced with a straight pipe, but the cat had a sensor on it, im guessing the secondary O2 sensor....but that wouldn't cause the car to be turning off like it is.....im lost!

95

I have a '97 Maxima SE and i was having the exact same issue. Its your Mass Air Flow sensor. Once I changed my, the car was riding like new again. Installation took like 10 minutes. Check that out.

75

thanks man

95

No problem.

30

don't replace the mass air flow sensor just yet if it gets dirty or a spider web gets attach. to the filament yes i said spider web it can have all problems that you are having .go to the auto parts and buy a can mass air flow cleaner try that first good luck

20

My 1996 nissan maxima does the same crap please help me!!

20

I had the same problem I replaced just about everything that had to do with the ignition, and nothing help. Then i found this wise man that told me to replace the coolant temp sensor, so i did. And after spending alot of money on spark plugs and all that other stuff a simple to change out twenty dollar sensor fixed my problem. My car now has 200,000 miles on it today and still runs like a champ. I live this 1996 maxima

40

I have a 1996 Maxima and for a while my car would randomly stall out and/or die on me with no warning. After a while I would have to turn the key several times to start, in addition to that. I was told it could be the MAF, throttle position censor, vacuum leak etc. Turns out it was a $30 Ignition Switch. Problem solved and runs beautifully.

80

I have currently same exact problems.... Have replaced battery,2 oxygen sensors,knock sensor,computer,unhooked radio thinking due to possible short, still have exact same probs!! Dies while driving!! When at light, put car in neutral and push on gas, this willwill help until u can fix car! Always have plenty of gas, when mine gets 1/4 or less it starts dying all the time!

40

My 96 maxi auto dies sometimes at a light or coming to a stop sign. I press the gas and it chokes/stutters. Sometimes the idle is at like 300- 400 i quickly throw it in neutral nd give some gas will save it but if i let go of gas she will simply die. The camshaft angle sensor black plastic is cracked over the gold ring for the bolt can that be it? Things ive done : change knock sensor. Change fuel filter. Spark plugs. Engine/trans oil drain and refill. Cleaned magnetic tips on crank/cam shaft sensors. Raised idle to 800 (to try nd stop the stalling at lights) What can it be cause its starting to get dangerous? Also i changed the knock sensor myself so i can tackle most tasks under the hood. What i havent done : clean iac flean throttle position sensor. Checked for vacuum leaks. Someone help me plez

80

So I eventually sold the car to a mechanic for $500, and low and behold he fixes the Maxair flow and he's now driving the car that I'd had everything else replaced and put around $1000 in...that's the thing, I may not know much about csrs, but when I tell the mechanic the problems with the car and even mentioning most Nissan have Maxair flow problems, these mechanics ignore my input and fix what the computer says.....

20

It sounds like I am having the same kind of issue. I have a 1996 Nisan Maxima I have replaced the Mass Air Flow, Alternator, Knock Sensor and PCV Valve and fuel filter, and still nothing is helping. If I start the car and let it idle, it will stay started (now that I have release the pressure under the gas cap). I can even put it gear and it will pull itself, but the moment that I depress either the brake or the accelerator, the car acts like it is flooded and dies. I have checked all of the electrical components that I can think of and the connections look good and are tight. Any suggestions would be appreciated, especially if they are not to expensive.

80

Wow, that's exactly the same problem and exactly the same parts I had replaced/worked on. I no longer have the car because it became too expensive to keep trying to find a solution . ..honestly your best option is to get another car. I heard someone mention an ignition switch? Best of luck to you

40

It was my maf. It doesnt mess up enough to throw a cel but will turn ur car off. Tip to see if it is your maf - turn ur car on. Let her heat up fully for about 10-15 mins. Open ur hood and press down on the top flat box of the maf if it shuts off its your maf. It can b soldered but i bought a new one for $50 and my 96 maxima has beaten an 04 rav4 limited nd 04 gmc terrain. Lol. Not really racing but you guys know what i mean. It was my first nd still is my first car ever so i didnt want to let it go. Theres always a cheaper way than mechanic shops that basicallly screw you. If you really love the car fix if not sell it. I take her on 2 hour drives every weekend to go camping or trailing. She loads and hauls all my stuff no problem and shes 20years old!!!! 4 years younger than me lmao!!!!! I still get around 300 mpg as well!!!! I love my maxi 96 maxi auto 110xxx mi and running like a champ 20 years later!!!!

20

i have a 96 maxima as well and have replaced the alternator battery and a few other things as well including the things ive never heard of and it is still doing the same thing. it continuous to die everytime i dont give it acceleration. my mechanic told me it could be my transmission or my fuel injectors but im not sure what to think of that since he told me it was my alternator at first so now i have replaced the alternator for nothing. i have read all the reviews above and some are helpful for insight but can someone please point me to the right direction? thank you

40

Ok have you changed the mass air flow? 46.95 at 1aauto.com. Fixed my problem. Let me know. If you can keep your car on in park or neutral. Open the hood and press down on the m.a.f. If the car turns off most likely theres your culprit.

20

thank you. i will test it after work.