2000 Nissan Sentra Car stopped running

Asked by Apr 29, 2015 at 02:40 PM about the 2000 Nissan Sentra GXE

My car brake and battery light came on then when I turned on the lights the stereo
would go off, turn the lights off then stereo would come back on. It was sputtering
when I drove it then suddenly died. Had a mechanic look at it said it was not the
alternator but he believes it's the fuel pump. I'm not sure how that could cause the care
to lose power to the lights or stereo it makes NO sense to me. My car is now sitting
because I can't drive it and I have NO clue what needs to be fixed! Or where to even
begin to look! HELP!!

94,905

Take the battery out and have it recharged then tested, if it passes great, if not replace it, then purchase a small voltmeter, nothing fancy, put the battery back in hook up the voltmeter to the battery and write down the reading, then see if it will start, if it starts then check the voltage reading at idle, it should be about 13.8 to 14.2 volts, if the voltage is within those numbers then it is charging, if it isn't then there is a charging system problem, at this point you will have to have to checked professionally to find out if it is just an alternator or faulty wiring. A lot of Asian vehicles will turn on both of those light if something is wrong with the charging or braking systems.

Thank you I have had both checked and the car still won't start alternator is supposedly just fine and battery is charged completely...

94,905

It does crank over good? How are the battery cables and connections? Those little tin battery terminal ends won't stand very much corrosion before they fail.

no corrosion on the terminal ends and it's trying to turn over to start the starter works fine as well. We checked from the spark plugs the wires the alternator the battery the cables the fuel pump. We've only had this car for 5 months and put only a couple thousand miles on it we have kept up on the oil change and maintenance.

94,905

Ok so you have spark and fuel, so the next step is to check compression, if that checks good then from there it is going to get more complex, the first thing to do is get the codes pulled, that should get you pointed in the direction you need to go. If compression fails, then you are going to have to dive into the engine to find out why. HTH

Thank you again I will have that looked at!

94,905

Hope you find it easy and cheap to fix.