2002 Nissan Maxima GLE turns over but wont start

90

Asked by Oct 13, 2014 at 08:43 PM about the 2002 Nissan Maxima GLE

My 2002 Nissan Maxima GLE turns over but will not start. Every light in the car is on. I
tried to crank it but it wont start. There is a noise coming from the hood. And its also a
whirring noise I cant tell where its coming from.

285

Crank Shaft positioning sensor. I have had 3 Maxima's Its a known problem with that motor. I believe its still the 3.0 Correct?

90

its the 3.5

285

Ok im pretty sure you have the Crank shaft Positioning sensor as well as a knock sensor. The Crank Sensor when it fails to work its telling the motor that its in a different time, So it will not start.they normally run around $25.00 Simple change

90

i hope this is it. will it cause the car to make any noises when you are trying to crank it?

285

No the only difference is you will hear all the parts in the engine trying to crank where as before all those noises were muffled because the engine would crank and start up. Most likely its the starter that you hear.. Have you tried to hook up some jumper cables then tried to start the car?

90

Yes i have i tried that when it first failed on me. every light on the dash is on my headlights and interior lights. I took a post off the battery then touched it and it had a spark.

285

Only other thing i would suggest would be the EGR valve. You most generally can put it out clean it real good and put it back in and it will 99% of the time work for a few more years. Or atleast mine always have. [[ Air/fuel, compression, ignition (spark) ]]

90

ok cool thanks for the information you saved me time and a BIG migraine

90

do you have an estimate for the cost of the egr valve

285

No problem, I love working on the Maxima's they are one of the best engines to work on..:) If something else arises please comment back and we will get that sucker running for sure. Not to many things can be wrong. Good luck on her/him

285

I believe they were pretty high. That's why i always just cleaned my real good and reused it. The one i priced for my Maxima (1996) Was $150.00 at Autozone im pretty sure. I would try to clean it first if you could

285

The sound you say you hear when trying to start the car, Would that noise possibly be coming from the back of the car? Like in the Fuel tank???????

90

yea i think it is. i turned it off and turned it right back on i think i could hear the fuel pump turn on. then when i turn the key over it starts making a noise under the hood like i was tryna do something

90

And ive only had her a month. i got the test done at autozone an the speed sensor code popped up and i replaced that. and it read p0455 which is the EVAP system which i never got to look at. the engine light would come on and off over the weeks. but it came on last week and didnt go back off. and yesterday i was sitting at the tire shop and tried to start it and it wouldnt start

90

could you tell me where the egr valve is located so that i can try cleaning it

285

Hmm. If it threw a evap code, it will not start or run if there is a problem with that. Let me think on that one

285

When standing in front of your car it will be on the back side of the engine on the left hand side of the engine.

90

i never got a chance to get it checked out so it prolley is that. i just wish i had a diagnostics machine at home

285

Ok so i may have been wrong? I have a 96 maxima have had a 2000 & a 2001 they all used the EGR valve but i just found a post on here saying that the 3.5 motor does not have an EGR valve?

285

But auto zone and other part stores sell the EGR valves for a 02 Maxima with the 3.5 motor. Google also shows that the EGR valve is located where i said it was at on your car? Im lost here.

285

I will do more research on this topic tomorrow its 2:20am here and i have to be up in a few hours so i will get back with you in a bit. Sorry for the delay

90

its cool ima look and see if i can find it. and im still gon take all the other possibilities into consideration

90

i really appreciate it. its 3:20 in NC lol

285

Ok im off work now. Sorry for the abrupt leave this morning. Just couldn't stay awake. Alright lets start from the bottom and get this beast up and running. :) Have you pulled the plugs? If so how did they look? Are we positive you are getting fire? Do you smell gas when trying to start the car?

285

Also has your car thrown any codes? Have you tried smashing the gas petal all the way to the floor and starting the car? Sorry for all the questions, Its just hard to know without hearing it try to start or not being there. Hope you understand. But please don't get mad, Keep posting info and i will have it up and running before ya know it..

90

nah i have no tools im basically tryna do my own diagnostic with my ears and eyes before i have to pay a mechanic just to look at it. Im going to try and jump it right quick. i dnt smell any gas tryna start it.

90

its cool keep them coming im about to do a few things

90

im taking the battery to autozone right now to see if its anything with that. but my mechanic said its the starter

285

Well my friend, What did you figure out, If anything?

90

I have to buy a new engine. I was hoping I could rebuild mine but my mechanic hasn't said anything about it. So I'm about to spend almost 2 grand on a new one. After I do that I might trade her in or sell her I'm debating

80

I have a 02 Nissan Maxima and it's not firing

90

Tell me what's going on when u try start it

55

I'm in the same boat. I just replace the throttle body, all the spark plugs, one coil pack (it fell apart as I pulled out and was covered oil). I had 2 spark plugs in the rear bank that had oil so I replaced the valve cover. After all the work, the car would not start. I thought that I narrowed the problem to the fuel pump since I was not hearing it prime. The car cranks but will not start. I sprayed starter fluid and it will turn over but it will only run for a few seconds. I am going to get a new battery tomorrow to see if this work, but I running out of ideas. Any thoughts? BTW, I have 2002 Maxima. I did have a general miss fire code before I started all this work. I replaced the throttle body because it was clinking very badly. And yes, I TRIPLE CHECKED that everything was reconnected after I replaced everything. Lee

20

Any other answers to this problem. My 99 nissan max is doing the same thing. Changed pump and filter but will not start. It is cranking over but will not start. I also sprayed with starter fluid and it did start for a minute then quit. Do you think changing the fuel pump regularor will do the trick?

20

I have a 1997 nissan maxima and all my lights comes on. It want start up it act like it wants to start. But it want turn over and it also makes a lil noise under the hood. When i turn the ignition until when only the lights comes on the dashboard thats when you hear the noise. Any suggestions?

50

I have and 2002 Nissan Maxima and my car turns on but doesn't run. So what can be the problem ?

40

I ain't getting any spark on my 02 maxima 3.5

Hit the gas twice After flipping the switch and lights appear then 1-2 seconds after turn it completely and it should start

30

Omg!! I need help.. sane thing is happening to mine.. I turned it off one day and I was almost out of gas at store but should have been fine to get to station etc I go to turn it on and the first time I try to crank it , it sounds like it wants to turn overy and then just clicks after that. Someone put in a new starter for me tonight and still nothing? I'm freaking out... any ideas.. Thanks, Desperately seeker car help Sincerely , Single mother of four loll lol

285

How is your battery? also check if its getting gas to the plug. next i would check fuel filter then egr valve. I replaced many of the Egr which is Electronic Gas Regulation if i remember correctly.

20

My car doing the same exact thing.. .2006 maxima.. I changed the fule pump but that wasn't it.. Now Im just out of ideas.. Also none of my Gage's work

I just got me a 2000 Nissan maxima. It will turn over and crank it idles at 500rpm. but if I give gas it will die. I put a new fuel pump and same thing. I hooked a computer to it and says swirl control valve could that make it not run? Need suggestions on what to do.

20

Sounds like you may have a clogged fuel filter that wont allow enough gas to flow to your injectors, or possibly a bad gas cap with a clogged vent? Take the cap off first and see if that solves the problem.

10

I have a 2001 Nissan Maxima with 200K Miles on it. A few months ago it developed an intermittent hard starting problem that steadily got worse. I tried some of the remedies listed in this forum and some others, but to no avail. Finally a sharp mechanic was able to detect that the starter was creating an electronic noise of some sort (not mechanical) that was being sensed by one of the crankshaft position sensors, and giving the computer an errant signal. He was able to see this interference on a "scope".The mechanic replaced the starter, and the problem was solved! Been working perfectly for several weeks now

Hey my 2000 maximum fuel pump is working it getting gas through the line coming up to the motoe but some where in between the gases isn't gettinf there could it be the fuel injectors

20

Disconnect the fuel line on the engine side if the furl filter located on the firewall on the drivers side. Crank the engine to see if fuel comes out. If not then your filter could be clogged, or the pump is shot. If no flow thru the filter disconnect the filter and try again. If no flow, pump is probably bad.

10

Thanks for the input. I did try all those tings and more. Incredibly, the actual problem was that the starterwas creating an electrical "noise" that was being picked up by a crank sensor causing the computer to read bad info. The noise cannot be heard, but was picked up on the "scope" . Otherwise there is no indication the starter had a problem. We changed the starter and ngine cranks right up!!!! Amazing.

5

Same problem! 1999 Nissan Maxima cranks but does not start and I smell gas. Changed battery, battery cables, starter, spark plugs. When it first started I would try to start it a few times and eventually it would start but now it will not start at all!