2003 altima stik shifter stok & brake ligth do not work

Asked by May 08, 2013 at 11:56 AM about the 2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

2003 altima stik shifter won"t go from park to reverse or from newtral to reverse  and brake ligths will not turn on. what may I chek ? pleace help.

there is a brake switch at the end of the stroke on your brake pedal...this one is probably faulty...will research part numbers etc, to assure a correct replacement~

the assembly~

okay...there are a couple of switches at the brake pedal...this one cuts cruise control, the other is for brake lights...will have to check to see on your electrical diagaram~

rockauto.com has them

okay pin 11 on your ECM...that doesn't really help much, would try the "Brake light switch" first then the ASCD switch if that one doesn't do it~

...whew...

27,505

in his other post he told me he already replced the switch. Doesnt seem he wants to check to see if it has power going to it, or through it.

the "kill willy" or ASCD switch which turns off the cruise, or the actual Brake Switch?, kbro? cornfused? so am I~

one of these is talkin' to pin 11 on the ECM~ which one, will have to meditate on that one...

27,505

I think he wants us to fix it for him.

27,505

my magic wand is acting up at the moment. Is yours working judge?

I don't know shit about this shit...just doing what I can....all the intelligence here is from what the mighty Google tells me.

It would stand to reason that the car wants to know if the brake is being applied...Nissan in there wisdom (they don't want a mistake here) has a "CUT all control" and put it back into the hands of the driver "cancel autopilot" as it were. Stands to reason they put much creedence on this switch, such that it is used as safety to stop the driver from engaging the transmission.....have a very aggressive interlock on the MINI and used to be able to play with the gear selector on the fly, downshifting with my automatic....not no more....the brake has to be appled at a standstill....this is the force that we are fighting here the ASCD switches involvement with pin 11 on the ECM has in effect disabled this driver's ability to gear select....in effect stranding this driver....kaput~

New ASCD switch, installed properly will get this gentleman back on the road, terrifying disabled people by making them RUN across the street~

it does say A/T lock switch, in case you weren't paying attention~