rear lift door totally inop

Asked by Dec 26, 2013 at 09:24 AM about the 2004 Nissan Quest 3.5 SL

After rearended our bumper was hanging down.  we tied it up with plastic straps.  From
that point on the rear hatch is totally inop.  Also the passenger door suto close does not
work correctly.  it gets within 12 inches of closing and then opens as if something were in
the path.  There is nothing at all blocking that function.  Any suggestions??

246,055

Sounds to me that there was more damage done than just the bumper cover. The body has been bent and crumpled from the impact not allowing the hatch and rear door to close correctly due the sheet metal alignment. Contact your insurance company to start the process of filing a claim and have a body shop give you an estimate on the repair. I hope you got the other drivers name or had a police report. Good Luck!

no, there was no damage to the door what so ever. it worked fine till we tied up the bumper several weeks after the accident

246,055

Several weeks? I still stand by my statement, even though I can't see the vehicle. Apparently there is something preventing the door from closing and you can't see it. That tells me something is out of alignment.

22,675

It should be repaired properly, like Tom says- why complain about problems when you have jerry-rigged your car? I think you should be more concerned about the personal risk to your neck if you were to be rear- ended again without a proper bumper to absorb the impact- the safety issue is paramount