My car jerks very badly, thrusts, and makes very loud "pop" like sounds.

Asked by Aug 10, 2015 at 07:18 PM about the 1997 Ford Mustang STD Coupe

I have a Manual 97 Mustang V6 (165k miles).. Last week the car was running fine and always has since I've bought it drove strong.. Drove for a bit, went home, parked in my driveway car still running, flipped it into neutral.. 5 mins later the shift knob started shaking severely, so did the car.. caused by the engine.. it started very fast and weak... Got slower and stronger causing the car to shake, as if it was going to stall.. which it did. died out and gave off a weird smell.. tried to start it up again, it started but seconds later same thing, just died out. The battery is fine, have a half tank of "Unleaded Premium". My mechanic ran a Check Engine Light test, he towed it and had it in his garage for a few days, said I had two bad o2 sensors. he replaced them with new ones. Now the car starts, but it runs HORRIBLE, when I drive it doesnt sound right, it jerks and thrusts very bad, and gives off a, or a few "pop"! like sounds.almost like a firework. It accelerates very slow and unsteady while jerking badly, its horrible.. If I stop maybe 1 out of like every 5 times, the car would shake and stall. I have no idea what it could be.. The night before all this had happened, I was driving in a very bad Tstorm.. I hit a few huge puddles maybe a foot and a half or higher, nothing went wrong then.. Maybe water couldve got into the gas? Cylinders? Plugs? If anyone knows what is causing this, Anything helps.. Thanks in advance!

65,655

May be a clogged fuel filter,dirty throttle body,or the timming is off.

65,655

All so check the distributor cap,may have moisture in it.

160

Have you always ran premium fuel? Because that can affect it. Run what is required, not all cars can use premium.

T_S_T thanks I will check tomarrow.. and automationtech1 no just maybe the last two weeks, being that my mechanic told me as long as it's unleaded it shouldn't affect the performance..

160

Alrighty then. Premium usually ignite quicker and could be doing this before the actual spark takes affect. Good luck.