Can computer issues cause fuel pump whining?

5

Asked by Jun 08, 2015 at 12:44 AM about the 1997 Ford Explorer 4 Dr XLT 4WD SUV

I have a 1997 Explorer, 4.0 SOHC. I had to replace the crank sensor; in doing so I disconnected the battery. It was disconnected for 2 or 3 hours. I've never had a car with a computer before so I thought nothing of both battery cables resting on the same piece of metal.
The Explorer now starts but it runs very badly. It won't respond to sudden acceleration and does not like to exceed about 2500 to 3000 rpm. All of this I figured was my lack of computer savvy with the battery cables.
The confusion comes in with the fuel pump (now 6 months old), which is whining quite loudly after only a couple minutes of run time. There was no pump whine before the crank sensor went out, (it worked perfectly and quietly till that time); the only thing that was done is the sensor change and I know realize the computer was evidently cleared by the battery cable incident.
Most importantly what might I do to get back up and running again I don't have enough to just dump it at the shop, and have'em call me with the bill.

thank you

20,445

I imagine that you have a lot of miles on this vehicle? I had a 1995 Honda Accord and the computer went out. The computer controls everything in your car. I know you don't want to just take it to the shop, BUT, if you don't have the knowledge and experience with your "lack of computer savvy ", then you may not have a choice here. The question is "how fast do you need to get back on the road. "? Sure, you could go for "trial and error ", but, this is going to take time and if you really need your computer replaced, you probably shouldn't be doing this yourself anyway. Sorry. By the way, computers have been on vehicles for 30 years or more.

11,520

wouldn't hurt to scan the computer for codes