I have a 1995 3000gt front wheel drive. The fuel pump was rigged to turn on with a switch and someone got in it and then they left it running for a unprecedented amount of time. I have recently replaced the fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator. After I replaced the fuel pump, and the fuel pressure i confirmed the fuel pump was bad. I then let all the air out of the fuel line afterwards the car started temporarily but now it won't start once again does anyone know what it would be now? its acting like it was when the fuel pump was bad I believe its a fuel problem.

Asked by May 12, 2016 at 06:02 PM about the 1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT 2 Dr STD Hatchback

170

I'm thinking this switch that was installed may have a loose connection or a short. This could blow a fuse, or even burn up any new fuel pump if the switch bypasses the fuse. If not that, release pressure and turn the car to ON but don't start. If more pressure builds up, the pump is fine. Might be injectors. Make sure it's not the fuel pump relay as well.

I was thinking the injectors might be it. I have checked that the fuel pressures fine. I was just hoping it was an affordable fix I spent most my paycheck on the fuel pressure regulator and fuel pump. Thanks for the answer. Do you know of any way to test them to make sure that they are fine or not?

If it helps the engine cranks, however it just doesn't start.

170

Yeah the engine will crank despite what the fuel pump is doing. Your problem is obviously fuel delivery, but where is the hard part. Could be injectors, but I'm really concerned about this switch and why it was put in to begin with. If you're good with electrical work, might want to look at the connections on that switch. And, if the pump is rigged to switch from an alternate power source than the standard fuel pump wiring, and is bypassing any fuse protection, it could be getting overloaded and burning out. Also google and check to see if there is an inline fuel filter under the car (looks like a can)...might be clogged and all you need to do is replace it.

113,295

Your fuel filter is below your battery on the passenger side firewall. Have you checked the fuel pressure with a guage? All because it builds pressure does not mean it's building up enough pressure for injectors to work properly.

Yea I have already checked fuel pressure and it is correct.