What is it worth?

Asked by May 21, 2014 at 04:44 PM about the 1998 Mitsubishi 3000GT 2 Dr SL Hatchback

I have a 1998 Mitsubishi 3000gt sl. I was driving it on the highway at about 50 miles per
hour and the belt broke.  First, the power steering went, then the belt broke, then the car
died.  I don't think I want to put the money into fixing it, thinking about selling it.  The car
itself is in great shape, just has a  pesky engine problem...  Wondering how I find out what
it would be worth to sell as is?

241,965

You'd be surprised, it's worth around $5K if you replace the belt. I'm basing that on 120K miles and the car in good condition. The pesky engine problem should be disclosed in the sale and will lower the value., So say $4K, more mileage you have the lower the price and vice versa. HTH's.

111,085

Which belt broke? Alternator/ac or power steering? If one of these two it's an easy fix. But if timing belt. Well let's just say its time for a compression check to see if you bent any valves. If none bent then not to expensive or bad to fix. But most likely some are and the heads will have to be removed. I agree with Tom. These cars hold their value real well even if it's not running due to timing belt issues.

6,125

SL's with 120k miles are not worth 5k,, and if the timing belt broke when you were doing 50mph there no way I can see that it didn't bend some valves, if you did break the timing belt and the valves are bent its now worth about 2-3k and that's if the interior and exterior is in good non ragged out condition

1,185

Yeah, your hesitation to change the belt doesn't really make any sense unless it's the timing belt. If that is the case, and it is an interference engine, it's probably not work having fixed unless you are willing to do it yourself. Even then, it will be expensive. Had to replace every valve in the engine when my old 300ZX flipped the timing belt. It wasn't cheap.