Has a rebuilt engine..but what about the trannY?

15

Asked by Feb 13, 2009 at 12:56 PM about the 1992 Mitsubishi 3000GT 2 Dr SL Hatchback

my hubby and I just "bought" this beautiful car..the previous owner says the engine was rebuilt and it's got 9,000 on it(100,000 something on the body)

Are we going to be able to drive it 1,200 miles to oklahoma from florida on the old transmission? What kind of questions should we ask the guy?

35

hi is it an auto or manual? autos last longer then manuals but thats only if your clutch is gone if you rebuild an engine 9 times out of ten the clutch is replaced! so it should be ok just test drive it if you hear any funny noises then ask a question but it should be fine 3000gt/gto/stealth are all really good gear boxes just ask about the clutch.

35

well... Ive always had love for the 3000's they are elegant and have beautiful lines.. However they have been known to be maintenance hogs. with that said every Japanese sports car that came out in that era were maintenance hogs with very tight engine bays. you should be fine driving it as long as the gears go into place with no grinds and the clutch isn't slipping.. if its an auto drive it gently for a few blocks to see if the shifting is smooth then stomp on the gas to see if the torque converter kicks in appropriately. also after it is warmed up leave it idling for at least 2 minutes to see if there are any strange unusual vibrations or sputters with the engine. You can listen to the exhaust to see, it should sound smooth if it rumbles or gurgles just a little bit don't buy it.. . It is an older car so there might be some "natural" idle issues IE soft engine mount bushings transmission brace bushing etc that can lead to vibration.. I would ask the guy if the transmission has been replaced if so when and by who and was it rebuilt or replaced with a used one. Also I would ask him if there is any body rot, exhaust leaks, fuel issues, who did the engine swap, idle issues, when was the fuel pump serviced, has the fuel filter been replaced, if the air cleaner was replaced. and if he has maintenance records.