I've never had a problem with this car until Friday I drove her to South Carolina came back Sunday unloaded my car went to start it up and it shut off immediately can drive it for a little then off

Asked by Aug 07, 2015 at 10:27 AM about the 2000 Mitsubishi Galant ES

I changed the relay I change the fuel pump
and the crankshaft sensor also the battery
And still the same problem

7,700

Did the engine begin to lose power? When you start it up does it idle rough. When it dies .. does it stumble a little before it quits or does it just shut down? Does it quit when you press the brake? Is it hard to start? Do you have any things on the ring that has your keys that could put weight on the ignition ... all shots in the dark but let us know exactly what happens when you start it

The engine never lost power. When you start it up it sounds good. Until a couple seconds after it sounds rough and stumbles a little before it dies. I didn't hit the brake when starting it up. It isn't hard to start unless I keep trying to start it then it is. I have a couple things on my key chain not to heavy

I had a guy come hook up his computer to it no codes came up .

7,700

The only thing that comes to mind is a clogged catalytic converter.but that requires some disassemble unless you can get it to Midas or some other repair place and if it's not running then perhaps your towing will tow you there (I have AAA and they will tow from my house .. but only 2 time) Good luck

Will that be the reason it ran sometimes and then would shut off ? My husband has been doing all the labor. He just replaced the spark plugs and 2 of them had oil in them so he bought the vauvle cover gasket kit. The idle air control comes in and out when you turn the key on and off. When he had it hooked up to the computer he said the steps where at 118. You can hear it clicking when it starts. it starts fine then it starts getting rough and you can hear it clicking faster . would the car act this way if the timing was off? This car has been fine for 5 years never had a problem with it. I don't understand drove it to south Carolina and this happened.

Ok everything that he replaced was spark plugs , boots vaule cover seals, vaule cover gasket kit, timing belt, balancer belt, fuel pump, crank shaft sensor , and battery. Tomorrow he will replace the mass flow sensor, 2 other sensors up top on intake , o2 sensor, unclog cat converter if its cloged , and the IAC value

7,700

Do the Cat first because even if the other components are bad .. the car will still run ... It won't run long if the cat is bad

How can you clean the cat?

7,700

First you make sure that's the problem. All of the other things you want to change won't make a car quit after a few minutes ... The catalytic converter is the only thing that will . You are about to spend a small fortune on things and probably none of them are broken. The MAF alone can cost almost as much as a converter. ( I paid $160 for a Grand Prix converter) They are not difficult to change ( sounds like Husband is handy with cars)

Ok he cleaned the cat converter still the same thing. He sprayed b12 chemtool carb choke cleaner in the carberator and the car ran till that stuff ran out then car shut off. So I'm guessing maybe the fuel filter ?

7,700

That should be an easy thing to change ...

Do you know where the fuel filter is on this car ? And do you think that would cause this problem? The car runs beautiful when he sprays the b12 in the carb and as soon as that runs out the car dies .

7,700

I would look it up but I'm in the throes of a Rheumatoid Arthritis attack and it effects fingers ... Google "Mitsubishi fuel filter location" Then click on images Good luck